Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gervaise

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Hertfordshire
I've got an epistolary novel I need to export from InDesign 5.5 to Epub. The letters are in a sans-serif and the narrative in a serif font. I can cludge it using Export Tags but I've not got the process under control - I can't, for example, control justification or indenting first line etc. Any ideas warmly welcomed.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
I've got an epistolary novel I need to export from InDesign 5.5 to Epub. The letters are in a sans-serif and the narrative in a serif font. I can cludge it using Export Tags but I've not got the process under control - I can't, for example, control justification or indenting first line etc. Any ideas warmly welcomed.

Totally give up trying to do your final ebook formatting in InDesign. Justification and paragraph indents are easily controlled by editing the ePub with an appropriate editor and tweaking the CSS rules.

You should accept that InDesign's ePub export will need final massaging in a real ePub editor. You will need to learn a bit of xHTML and CSS coding, though. I would recommend that you get both Sigil and Calibre. The latter is a bit of a "Swiss Army Knife" offering that is an ebook library manager with a good format conversion engine at its core. It includes a Reader app and a rather good Editor for both ePub and Amazon AZW3 formats. Sigil is a pure editor with some advantages over Calibre's Editor app.

Both are well supported and free. For support for either and for ebooks in general, I highly recommend you join the MobleRead community at https://www.mobileread.com/

Last edited:

gervaise

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Hertfordshire
Totally give up trying to do you final ebook formatting in InDesign. Justification and paragraph indents are easily controlled by editing the ePub with an appropriate editor and tweaking the CSS rules.

You should accept that InDesign's ePub export will need final massaging in a real ePub editor. You will need to learn a bit of xHTML and CSS coding, though. I would recommend that you get both Sigil and Calibre. The latter is a bit of a "Swiss Army Knife" offering that is an ebook library manager will a good format conversion engine at its core. It includes a Reader app and a rather good Editor for both ePub and Amazon AZW3 formats. Sigil is a pure editor with some advantages over Calibre's Editor app.

Both are well supported and free. For support for either and for ebooks in general, I highly recommend you join the MobleRead community at https://www.mobileread.com/
Dwig, many thanks. I've looked at Calibre and it's going to change my life. If you recommend Sigil as well that's good enough for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.