Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 11, 2004
fig tree
i'm an indesign n00b--i'm working on the first project i've done in the program...:eek:
anyway, how do i get a photoshop file to automatically update? like i add it to the indesign document, and when i make changes in the .psd file and save it it gets updated in indesign :confused:
i'm sure the answer is astonishlingly simple but i can't figure it out...:eek:

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
In CS1:
Place the psd file in your InDesign document. Control-click on the image (or right click if you have a 2 button mouse) and choose Graphics > Edit Original from the contextual menu. This will open Photoshop. Make the changes and then choose File > Jump to > InDesign CS. You'll be prompted to save the changes, and when you return to the InDesign document the new version will be displayed.
I think the menus are slightly different in CS2, but I don't use it - the process will be similar though. If you're lucky Blue Velvet may reply to your post as well, and maybe tell you a different (better) way.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
stevep said:
If you're lucky Blue Velvet may reply to your post as well, and maybe tell you a different (better) way.

Ha. If you're lucky...

*chortle*

(best laugh I've had today)

I'm only an occasional InDesign user, Quark's my workhorse.
Sounds reasonable what you advised there...

Edit: There are far more capable InDesign users and designers on these boards. I'm just one of the more vocal that's all.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I accomplish the same thing using the links palette. Click on your image and then click on "edit original" in the links palette and when you save and go back to InDesign, it will automatically update.

If you edit the photo completely outside of InDesign, you can use the Update Link button next to the Edit Original button in the same palette.

I've never used the "Jump to..." command in Photoshop as mine's grayed out. I don't know why that is.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 11, 2004
fig tree
tobefirst said:
I accomplish the same thing using the links palette. Click on your image and then click on "edit original" in the links palette and when you save and go back to InDesign, it will automatically update.

If you edit the photo completely outside of InDesign, you can use the Update Link button next to the Edit Original button in the same palette.

I've never used the "Jump to..." command in Photoshop as mine's grayed out. I don't know why that is.
thanks! works great! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.