Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SweeneyD24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Mauritius
My boss' MBP w/ Retina Display (256 SSD) was showing System as 122 GB (About this Mac > Storage > Manage...).
I did some research and found out that for some, the issue was actually due to some indexing issues.
I tried the following command yesterday and nothing happened.

sudo mdutil -E

Now I have a bigger problem.
Today, while going through his emails, he noticed that the search option in Outlook 2016 won't go past emails received yesterday and today. All the emails are there though, just not showing up in search.

Can anyone help me rebuild the index or undo the previous command?

P.S. The system storage issue has not been fixed yet. I need to fix his Outlook issue first and then go back to the system storage issue.

SweeneyD24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Mauritius
The command you entered IS for erasing and rebuilding the Spotlight index. I don't see any issue there other than waiting for the rebuild to occur.

Have you seen this help page?

Ok! That's cleared out.
So you're saying there's nothing else to do except to wait? Do you happen to know how much time the rebuilding will take?

I did, nothing there for me.

What's more annoying is that I don't really have much time to work on his laptop and I can't really try anything since I don't have his password.

Thanks for the reply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.