Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Just bought a house with four outdoor wired speakers in the patio area. I dug up the wire lines and they’re running into a pool house where the receiver was removed. Can anyone point me towards a relatively inexpensive receiver that is AirPlay 2 compatible? Not looking to shatter the neighbors windows and I don’t need any video inputs. Just for casual listening by the pool.
This was the cheapest I was able to find but if someone knows something I don’t...

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
See

Post 44

The S650H is a 2019 model. It is possible that they will be updating it.

Reactions: Itinj24

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I'll second manwithashoe's comment, but change "any old receiver" to just an amp.
No need for the receiver, which will add a layer of complexity that's probably not needed,

With the receiver, you'll have to figure out how to turn it on and adjust settings remotely, or have to go to the shed to turn deal with it.
If you're only planning on airplay, an airpot express and amp is more than enough, and cheaper also

found several options on amazon, some also have bluetooth, as an additional option (although you might have to flip a switch on the amp to change inputs)

If you wanted to get really fancy, you could get a homkit compatible outlet to switch the power remotely.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Awesome, thanks for all the replies. Didn’t even think about hooking the device up to an AirPlay 2 enabled device.

It seems all the decent refurbished or used AirPort Expresses are selling for more than they were brand new lol. Could this setup potentially work with an AppleTV if the receiver or amp has an HDMI port?
[automerge]1595442165[/automerge]
Sorry, I’m new to the Audio/Video Home entertainment game and I appreciate all the help...

Is there anyway an ATV with HDMI can hook up to these ports on the back of this using some type of converter adapter and get the AirPlay 2 functionality that way?

6292FCA3-737E-4C30-B2BF-0A6BA729631B.jpeg

Last edited:

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
This is the device. I have four speakers so I guess I would need at least a four channel amp. This one has five and wouldn’t mind adding a fifth in the future.

Pyle - 5 Channel Rack Mount Bluetooth Receiver, Home Theater Amp, Speaker Amplifier, Bluetooth Wireless Streaming, MP3/USB/SD/AUX/FM Radio, 200 Watt, w/ Digital ID3 LCD Display from - PDA7BU,Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0777B3TYQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_PjigFbV2DTR54

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Could this setup potentially work with an AppleTV if the receiver or amp has an HDMI port?
Yes. Although, if it is an ATV2 or ATV3, it would be just AirPlay 1. An upside to using these is that they have built-in optical audio out ports, and they tend to be pretty cheap on eBay.

Most receivers have optical audio input, even ones that are 20 years old, so you could probably find one for really cheap.

Is there anyway an ATV with HDMI can hook up to these ports on the back of this using some type of converter adapter and get the AirPlay 2 functionality that way?

Yeah, there are, but with added cost of adapters, you might as well get an AP Express.

If the AP Express with AirPlay 2 is out of your price range, maybe consider an older AP Express with AirPlay 1, as they are really cheap.

You have multiple ways of connecting an AP Express to a receiver or amp, as they have both an analogy and digital optical port using a Toslink cable.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Yes. Although, if it is an ATV2 or ATV3, it would be just AirPlay 1. An upside to using these is that they have built-in optical audio out ports, and they tend to be pretty cheap on eBay.

Most receivers have optical audio input, even ones that are 20 years old, so you could probably find one for really cheap.

Yeah, there are, but with added cost of adapters, you might as well get an AP Express.

If the AP Express with AirPlay 2 is out of your price range, maybe consider an older AP Express with AirPlay 1, as they are really cheap.

You have multiple ways of connecting an AP Express to a receiver or amp, as they have both an analogy and digital optical port using a Toslink cable.
Much appreciate all the info. I got burned on some used stuff in the past so I usually tend towards new and it’s difficult to find a new AirPort Express especially anywhere near the lower cost of an ATV4 (Don’t need the 4k for obvious reasons lol). The HDMI to RCA adapters and cables are cheap too. Not looking to go nuts. Just some casual poolside listening. I think I’m gonna try that Pyle Amp and an ATV4 with an adapter and see how that goes. I’m sure I won’t have volume control from my iPhone or AW. I envision it will work like an ATV4 that’s hooked up to an older TV where the TV Remote is necessary for volume control. Part of the reason I wanted built in AirPlay(2) support. Siri control too. Thanks again for the helpful info.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
That is good you figured out a path forward, I am sure it will work out okay.

I got burned on some used stuff in the past so I usually tend towards new and it’s difficult to find a new AirPort Express especially anywhere near the lower cost of an ATV4 (Don’t need the 4k for obvious reasons lol). The HDMI to RCA adapters and cables are cheap too.
I guess if you are trying to find a new one an AP Express would be priced more as it would be pretty rare to get one unopened.

Even with getting burned in the past with used products, I would look into getting an used AP Express.

It make things much more simple and faster setup than an ATV, and they cost a fraction of the price of an ATV.

They are going for about $60 on eBay for the AirPlay 2 Model, and a $6 cable to connect the AirPort to your Pyle Amp:

I am not sure if you are getting a killer deal on the ATV4, but I am sure that a new one will probably cost between 2 and 3 times as much.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
That is good you figured out a path forward, I am sure it will work out okay.

I guess if you are trying to find a new one an AP Express would be priced more as it would be pretty rare to get one unopened.

Even with getting burned in the past with used products, I would look into getting an used AP Express.

It make things much more simple and faster setup than an ATV, and they cost a fraction of the price of an ATV.

They are going for about $60 on eBay for the AirPlay 2 Model, and a $6 cable to connect the AirPort to your Pyle Amp:

I am not sure if you are getting a killer deal on the ATV4, but I am sure that a new one will probably cost between 2 and 3 times as much.
Ok ok you twisted my arm lol. Seriously though, I’ll give the Express a hard look again. Once again, your time and help is greatly appreciated.

Rakesh Agrawal

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2020
Houston, TX
Ok ok you twisted my arm lol. Seriously though, I’ll give the Express a hard look again. Once again, your time and help is greatly appreciated.

I'd recommend an amp/receiver that's all in one vs. an airport express + an amplifier/receiver. The problem with the latter can be that the amp/receiver needs to be put into the right state before it can be used (ie it needs to be turned on, switched to the right input and the speakers correctly enabled). The all in one solutions can be a lot more seamless in that when the receiver with Airplay built in begins to be used for playback, it'll normally come out of standby and switch to the correct input. The difference between "it just works all the time" vs. not.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I'd recommend an amp/receiver that's all in one vs. an airport express + an amplifier/receiver. The problem with the latter can be that the amp/receiver needs to be put into the right state before it can be used (ie it needs to be turned on, switched to the right input and the speakers correctly enabled). The all in one solutions can be a lot more seamless in that when the receiver with Airplay built in begins to be used for playback, it'll normally come out of standby and switch to the correct input. The difference between "it just works all the time" vs. not.
Thanks for the recommendation. I did a test run with some really inexpensive equipment I purchased on Amazon and I’m pretty impressed with how well it all works. Got a Pyle Amp for $72 with 5 channels and made sure all the knobs and switches on it were the type that can be left in their previous state for power and input. Four outdoor rock 6.5” speakers for $170 total (turns out the speakers that came with the house were shot and irreparable but the in ground wires were salvageable. The speakers on Amazon admittedly look terrible for rock speakers but sound ok for my use case), a $20 HDMI input to RCA output module, hooked up to an ATV I’m not currently using and the amp plugged into a Wemo Mini smart plug. I created a Shortcut called “Going Swimming (turns on the Amp Wemo Mini, awakens the Pool houseATV, sets playback destination to the Pool house ATV, set volume to 50%, play a selected playlist and open the music app) which has worked flawlessly. I have an eero pro in the pool House so wifi in the area is good. I can control the volume and songs all from my wrist while in the pool with my AW. I also have a Shortcut that undoes everything (pause music, set playback destination to iPhone, sleep ATV, turn off the Amp Wemo Mini). This is all temporary but extremely pleased with the results for now. The season is almost over anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveN and waw74

genealto

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2012
This works well with Airplay 2. It has a higher quality DAC than an Airport Express.

nekomatic

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2020
This works well with Airplay 2. It has a higher quality DAC than an Airport Express.
Every writeup (from an audio measurement perspective) I've seen of the Airport Express 2 has said it's very, very good.

The WXA-50 (the version with built-in amp, but only 2 channels) is not bad though, so the same probably applies to the WXC-50.

otherorange

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2007
The Sony STR-DH190 is a very low cost receiver that doesn't do video of any kind but has AirPlay 2 support. I was planning on purchasing this receiver originally but opted for the Denon instead for it's video capabilities.

SurfMacJpMtb

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2008
USA
The Sony STR-DH190 is a very low cost receiver that doesn't do video of any kind but has AirPlay 2 support. I was planning on purchasing this receiver originally but opted for the Denon instead for it's video capabilities.

My US version of this receiver does not have AirPlay. It does have Bluetooth. I do not see any mention of AirPlay on sony.com. I do see the reference to AirPlay on the link you provided.

azpekt

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2012
hp, illinois
Denon AVR-S750H is a nice one, I have it - so feel free to ask questions. It works nicely with both Airplay mode, as well as with Apple TV and MacBook Pro wired through it to Sony HDMI ARC.

One thing that is kind of a bummer, is that MacBook in that mode is only doing either 4K or default scaling mode.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I was just searching for this myself and came across this thread, and it looks like Belkin is working on a solution pretty close to what I need: https://www.macrumors.com/2021/02/24/belkin-soundform-connect-airplay-2/ I’d prefer for it to have an integrated class d amplifier, but there are plenty of those to choose from out there.
Yeah looking forward to that one. I since went with a cheap Pyle amp hooked up to an Apple TV but if this is something worth trying out, I can always repurpose the AppleTV and dump the amp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.