Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smckenzie

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2022
Anyone know what the “supported” apps are for AMD Infinity Fabric if you happen to use two MPX Duos?

AndreeOnline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2014
Zürich
The following is an AI-generated summary, but I've read through it and it's easier to follow than picking up pieces here and there from individual forum posts or anecdotal information. I will say that when I tested with vs without in my last setup (two Pro Vega II) I didn't see a huge difference. But it certainly doesn't hurt performance.

I don't think of it as something that needs to be supported on a 'per app' basis.

------------------

The Infinity Fabric Link is a technology developed by AMD, primarily utilized for interconnecting various components within their processors and GPUs (Graphics Processing Units). This high-bandwidth, low-latency connection was initially prominent in AMD's Ryzen and EPYC CPU architectures but has since been adapted and expanded for use in their Radeon Instinct and other high-end GPU offerings. The primary application of Infinity Fabric Link in GPUs centers around enabling superior data transfer rates and communication efficiency between GPUs and other system components.

How It Works

In the context of GPUs, Infinity Fabric Link facilitates the rapid exchange of data between multiple GPUs in a setup or between GPUs and CPUs. This is particularly beneficial in high-performance computing (HPC) applications, data centers, machine learning, and other scenarios requiring extensive parallel processing capabilities. Here’s how Infinity Fabric Link contributes to GPU applications:

1. Enhanced Data Transfer Speeds: Infinity Fabric allows for significantly higher data transfer rates compared to traditional interconnect technologies. This speed is crucial for applications that require the movement of large amounts of data in real-time, such as video rendering, scientific simulations, and deep learning.

2. Improved Scalability: With Infinity Fabric, multiple GPUs can be interconnected in a way that scales more efficiently. This is particularly important in systems designed for parallel processing tasks, enabling them to handle more computations simultaneously without bottleneck issues commonly associated with data transfer between GPUs.

3. Lower Latency: The technology provides lower latency communications between interconnected components. Lower latency is crucial for real-time applications and can significantly impact the performance of systems where timing is critical.

4. Increased Bandwidth: Infinity Fabric increases the bandwidth available for communication between GPUs and between GPUs and CPUs. This allows for the handling of more data simultaneously, improving the overall throughput of the system.

5. Coherent Memory Access: In certain configurations, GPUs connected via Infinity Fabric can share memory coherently. This means that memory resources can be pooled and managed more efficiently, simplifying programming models and potentially improving performance in memory-intensive applications.

Practical Applications

- Machine Learning and AI:
Training complex models requires the efficient handling of vast datasets and parallel processing. Infinity Fabric helps by facilitating faster data transfer between GPUs, speeding up the training process.

- Scientific Computing: Simulations that model physical phenomena, weather patterns, or chemical reactions benefit from the enhanced communication and data transfer capabilities, allowing for more complex and accurate simulations to be run in shorter times.

- Graphic Rendering and Gaming: In scenarios where multiple GPUs are employed to render graphics or process game physics, Infinity Fabric can improve performance by ensuring that data flows efficiently between the GPUs, reducing rendering times and improving frame rates.

- Data Centers: For cloud computing environments and data centers, Infinity Fabric can enhance the efficiency of resource utilization, allowing for more effective data processing, storage access, and network communications within the infrastructure.

In conclusion, AMD's Infinity Fabric Link plays a crucial role in applications requiring high data throughput, low latency, and scalable interconnectivity between GPUs and CPUs. Its impact is most pronounced in fields that demand intensive computational power and data handling, making it a cornerstone technology for advancing capabilities in various cutting-edge computing domains.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.