Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

huanbrother

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
CHINA
I am writing to caution users who are specifically interested in the Pro model for its USB 3 connectivity but may not prioritize other upgrades, such as the 5x lens, 8GB RAM, Titanium frame, etc.

It appears that the USB 3 speed (10Gbps or 5Gbps, depending on the paired device) is primarily noticeable when connecting the 15 Pro/Max to an external storage device, such as a portable SSD.

However, if you are hoping for USB 3 to accelerate file transfers using the system file explorer (PC), iTunes (PC and Mac), or third-party file management tools (like i4Tools on PC), or if you expect faster iTunes backup/restore to USB 3 standards, you may be disappointed, as, in most cases, the speed remains at USB 2.0 levels.

I hope to be proven wrong, but currently, this seems to be the prevailing situation.

References:

1. Discussions related to this issue can be found in the following post: iPhone 15 Pro USB-C Definitely Not Operating at USB 3.2 Gen 1 Speeds (10Gbps); Data Transfer is Still Just as Slow as USB 2.0/Lightning Cable.
  2. Comment section of this video (https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1WC4y1o7MW/): The video features a user inquiring why he can only achieve USB 2.0 speeds even with a proper 3.0 cable. Someone in the comments suggested that only OTG (with an external storage device) can activate the USB 3 speeds, which aligns with my personal experience.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Thanks for highlighting this sport coming. Hopefully it will be resolved soon.

For content creation my workaround is transferring videos from the iPhone to ssd. I actually use the latter as the editing drive for final cut pro rendering files.

Reactions: huanbrother
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.