Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bwebb

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2006
New England
Hello All,
I think I know the answer to my own question but would like opinions before I continue. I am going to set up the Airport Extreeme Base Station with the cable modem provided by my isp (Time Warner). I suspect I need to contact them first to update my account info (just recieved a MBP C2D, and base station) so they will allow me to use the base station with my MBP. Anyone know if this is required or can i just hook up the base station and go through the setup after connection the base station and use the internet (after seting up the MBP of course).
This is the first Mac I have owned so please bear with me in that regard.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

B

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
With most ISPs no special setup on their end is required... assuming you have a modem with an ethernet port already. When you go through the setup items, there really is only one important consideration, which is whether the modem must log into the network (typical when PPPoE is used, more common with DSL than Cable) or whether the modem gets an automatic signal. You'll be prompted for this when you run the setup assistant.

Bwebb

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2006
New England
mkrishnan
Thanks for the reply. Not sure what PPPoE is. Currently useing this modem with my intel PC (self assembled, not major brand) with a network card so yes to ethernet connector. It seems that I remember providing them with info about the type and number of systems, weather or not I would be using a router or not when I first got the service. But come to think of it when I contacted them a month or so ago (had some connection issues) they did have to ask me if I had a router connected or not, hmmm.
Thinking about that makes me believe that I might be able to connect the airport and see what happens :confused: .
I'm just concerned that If I try and it doesn't work that I won't be able to reconnect to my PC as before (the isp detects unusual activity and disables acct). Perhaps that is not a valid concern, I'm not sure.

Thanks

B

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
A lot of times ISPs sell you a "package" for networking multiple computers in your home that includes a router and their supposed support... usually this is worth little, because their router stinks and their support is worse. :rolleyes: Very few services have legal provisions that require you to register your internal network. What they see is that you have one device connecting to the network (the router). That's really all they need to know.

PPPoE is a protocol (point to point protocol over ethernet) that is sometimes used for your modem to get a network connection.

What I would suggest: Plug it in, run the setup assistant, follow the prompts. If you don't have to log in to the TW service from your computer, just select the other option (not PPPoE). In all likelihood it will Just Work™. :)

Bwebb

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2006
New England
I think I will give it a try. I you don't hear from me again here you probably will hear me cursing Time Warner (voice, won't need internet LOL).

Thanks again

B

Bwebb

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2006
New England
Well it's up and running via airport.

BUT :mad: after turning the puter off then restarting I had to (painfully) figure out why it wouldnt connect to the internet. I know there are other threads out there related to that subject so I wont drag this one out any longer.

Thanks for the replies, I'm sure you will see many more posts on here form me. So far I kind of like the MBP, time will tell.

Thanks again,

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.