Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sammy in SoCal

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
I think it would be absolutely ridiculous to purchase an iPhone 11 which is now 3 years old. Just put that money on the purchase of an iPhone 11 towards the newest one coming out in a couple weeks. If for nothing else the new one and possibly even the 13 series will have satellite capabilities. That means if you’re in the middle of nowhere where you cannot get cell reception and you’re having any type of emergency you’re able to still make a 911 or send text messages. Anything that has that type of potential life saving capability is well worth the $300 more than you would spend on the iPhone 11. And you don’t have to spring for the most expensive one, just get the cheapest iPhone 14

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I dont think that 11 and 11 pro is a bad choice today.
My wife still use one and i have tested it sometimes. Performance is still good, batterylife is good and also the camera.

i dont think you are gonna need a batterypack for your 11, perhaps if you are a very ”heavy user” on battery, or you buy a used phone that have batteryhealth for 80-85%.
I have only tried the regular 11 and battery last fine all day long. My wife is a ”light user” and she charge the phone every second day, sometimes 3 days. Her batteryhealth is 92% after 3 years!

There are of course some pros and cons between the two, but i think you know them or can google it😊
For the OP: there is also the option (what I did as well) is buy a used phone and get a new battery from Apple for $79.

Antares23

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2014
Chartres, France
I've brought my iPhone 11 a month before the 12 came out (yeah that was stupid but I was really eager as I've just got my first ever paycheck and my Android phone back then really was on its knee) and while it's been rock solid and it's not a bad phone, it certainly start to show its age on latest iOS 16 public beta 6. There's few slowdown here and bthere and the battery definitely does not last as long compared to when it was on iOS 14. (It's at 85% capacity tho)
But maybe this is because I've never ever reinitialized it since I've got it, it's been on iOS 13, 14, 15 and now 16.

The only regret I had was to not get the Pro model for the OLED screen, the LCD really looks old especially using dark mode.
I'm thinking about replacing it with a 13 Mini when the 14 release.
I would suggest going for a newer one when the 14 release as you would be able to get them cheaper.

Last edited:

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Insane? No. I think the 11 is still a solid buy for most people, especially those that don't fall into the enthusiast camp. It has the biggest battery/screen combo you can get for the price right now (running iOS). It has a great camera and battery life (some might argue the normal pictures from the 11 series are better and more natural than the 12/13 series). It's likely to be the last great LCD screen from Apple as well, which especially matters to those with PWM issues. I don't have PWM issues, but my eyes still prefer a quality LCD to OLED when going back and forth.

It does have the Intel modem, but I don't think that's an issue unless you just live in the fringe of your carrier's coverage, and spend all of your time there. And even then, anecdotally speaking, it's not always as bad as some say it is.

But, if a year from now you think you might care more about 5G and Apple support, you might skip on the 11. Mid-band 5G is already making a difference in a lot of areas, so a year from now it could be even better and worth having. And based on the past few years, Apple is only likely to support it for 2, maybe 3 more years.

Last edited:
Reactions: ILoveCalvinCool

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I'd buy the 12 at the very least. You're getting a large jump in processor performance from A13 to A14, better cameras, and a much better display. It's also a little smaller since the bezels are a bit smaller and the flat edge design. Can't be more than $100 difference in price for a much better phone.

Spotlighter9

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2021
Go for it! Similar to you I am still using my 5-year-old iPhone 8+ daily. It is the best iPhone Apple ever created form factor-wise, IMO. I really hate the chunky clunky heavy squared designs of the latest iPhone generation. However, as my 8+ ages, I have considered moving to the 11 Pro Max. It has a similar form factor to the 8+, but is a little thicker to accommodate the Lidar camera and heavier as its made of steel rather than aluminum (a horrible decision). I also suffer from PWM, so the 11+ OLED display may be problematic for me. I find it amazing that a 3-year old refurbished phone can still cost over $700 from Apple. I agree with others that you should wait until after the iPhone 14 event.

Reactions: ILoveCalvinCool

Macative

Suspended
Mar 7, 2022
You seem really focused on the battery case. I'd pick a phone that doesn't immediately need a battery case added on to it just to be usable. Like...you know...any of the latest iPhones.

Macative

Suspended
Mar 7, 2022
An iPhone 11 would be a weird choice right now for any reason other than price. Which is the only reason it is still part of Apple's lineup. And maybe not for much longer.

joehohoho

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Nearing the eve of iPhone 14, is it insane to buy an iPhone 11 or iPhone 11 Pro now? The only feature I care about is the the apple brand smart battery case. These are still available for the the iPhone 11. I've used them for my iPhone8 for years until they crumbled and I can no longer find them. I cannot stand the slap on magnetic battery, its just not as secure and is cumbersome sliding into and out of a pocket all day. The camera is still an upgrade from my iPhone8....
The 12 and 13 will likely be reduced in price when the 14 is announced. Can you get that smart battery for those or not?

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
It’s just not wise to buy any iPhone right now… just wait one more week. See how the dust settles. Any deal that you can get today, you definitely will be able to get it next week

Jakewilk

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
If you like the phone then buy it in 2-3 weeks!

However… I would recommend a 13 PM if the only feature you want is battery. The thing is a battery monster and actually smaller in the hands than the 11, despite the bigger screen. Even though it’s more expensive, you at least don’t need to buy the battery case anymore and it’s all in one

Reactions: kp98077

DR3MCLAREN

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2021
Calgary Canada
I picked up an 11 back in the spring of 2022 and I'm still happy with it. I had a 12 mini prior to it and the 5G was not what it was cracked up to be in my area. It just drains the battery faster. For me I find the curved body of the 11 far more comfortable in hand than the flat sides of the 12 / 13/ 14 series. I'm really hoping they go back to curve bodies before my 11 needs replacing.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Great. thanks. Yeah, I have no performance complaints about my iPhone 8, other than the apple smart battery case is disintegrating.
Wish they'd bring that case back :( I liked the feel and how it got used for power before the device.

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
The 11 Pro is certainly fast enough, the camera is good, it‘s not really missing any important features and - deal breaker for me - it’s way nicer to hold in your hand than any of the newer ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.