Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Merkava_4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
California
This message has been popping up on the Google home page while using the Google Chrome browser.

What the heck is this all about?

Insecure%20Update_zpsxurywhq5.png

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Sparkle is an open-source update system that third-party developers can use to deploy app updates outside of the App Store. One of your installed apps seems to be incorrectly configured.

Reactions: Merkava_4

Merkava_4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
California
Sparkle is an open-source update system that third-party developers can use to deploy app updates outside of the App Store. One of your installed apps seems to be incorrectly configured.

Thank you. Do you think I have the app as an extension on a browser, or is it an app in the Applications folder?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Sparkle is a framework that is bundled within Mac apps, so it is likely in your Applications directory. You can get a list of applications with that framework using this Terminal command:
Code:
find /Applications -name Sparkle.framework

If you want to find out which app is causing this error, then you should check out each one and try to update it manually. Once you found it, you should check the developer’s website to see if a new version is available or report the problem to them.

Nahtehc Irannihc

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2020
Excellent insight; for me VLC media player and Handbrake are installed; VLC causes this problem; when I uninstalled it and maintained for one week, no popup came; but when installed, pop is back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.