Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

john_satc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
B'ham Uk
hi i am having another little issue. i need to insert some french letter - like the 'C' with the little huck underneath it, or the a with a dash above it to show how you pronounce it. well, in ms word you could go into 'Insert' and then 'symbol' and chose then which symbol you wanted. is there any option of doing that on appleworks ? please im trying to write a paper on the French revolution and i need to put the write spelling for names etc! thanks everyone!

pncc

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
john_satc said:
hi i am having another little issue. i need to insert some french letter - like the 'C' with the little huck underneath it, or the a with a dash above it to show how you pronounce it. well, in ms word you could go into 'Insert' and then 'symbol' and chose then which symbol you wanted. is there any option of doing that on appleworks ? please im trying to write a paper on the French revolution and i need to put the write spelling for names etc! thanks everyone!

You can't do this as part of AppleWorks, but OS X has it available universally.

Go to the International Preference pane, click on the Input menu tab. Check the box "Character palette." Now, a little american flag (or your primary language country flag) will appear in the menubar. Select the "Show character palette" and choose whatever character you want.

Alternatively, the Option key has many of these diacritical marks built in.
ç á and others can be produced this way.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
pncc said:
You can't do this as part of AppleWorks, but OS X has it available universally.

Go to the International Preference pane, click on the Input menu tab. Check the box "Character palette." Now, a little american flag (or your primary language country flag) will appear in the menubar. Select the "Show character palette" and choose whatever character you want.

Alternatively, the Option key has many of these diacritical marks built in.
ç á and others can be produced this way.
I have a related question:

Is there any way to find out what the different option+keystrokes do (like the Key Caps utility in older Mac OS versions)? Surely Apple just hid Panther's equivalent to Key Caps in International settings somewhere and didn't get rid of it...

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
The keyboard palette in Panther is in a rather odd place. To find it, go to the international pref pane, click on the input menu tab and scroll through the list to find "Keyboard Viewer". Put a check next to it, and from the "input menu" (the flag icon) you can now select Show Keyboard Viewer. As far as I know, this is the easiest way to get to it. This may be one the very few situations where a Dashboard widget would actually be useful.

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
pncc said:
Now, I know there is an easier way of doing this. When you're in the Finder, just go to the Edit menu and select "Special Characters...".

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
john_satc said:
hi i am having another little issue. i need to insert some french letter - like the 'C' with the little huck underneath it, or the a with a dash above it to show how you pronounce it.
Ignore all the previous advice. You own a Mac. The reason Appleworks doesn't have this option is because it's built into Macs, and has been since way before OS X. Forget Microsoft's crappy way of doing it. For the ç, just press option-c. I'm not sure which 'a' you want, but here are all the variations I know of:

å - option-a

For the following characters, press the option key and the letter specified, then let go, and hit a:
á - option-e
à - option-` (the key with the ~ on it)
ä - option-u
â - option-i
ã - option-n

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
jamdr said:
Ignore all the previous advice. You own a Mac. The reason Appleworks doesn't have this option is because it's built into Macs, and has been since way before OS X. Forget Microsoft's crappy way of doing it. For the ç, just press option-c. I'm not sure which 'a' you want, but here are all the variations I know of:

å - option-a

For the following characters, press the option key and the letter specified, then let go, and hit a:
á - option-e
à - option-` (the key with the ~ on it)
ä - option-u
â - option-i
ã - option-n
Allow me to second your motion. Not only is the Microsoft way crappy, it is counterproductive. Word actually disables the normal keystrokes that I use in every other Mac application to access certain glyphs.

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
I have to do this frequently, as my current French professor, who is also a native speaker, requires us to write weekly compositions on various topics. The easiest way I've found to add accent marks is such:

1. Open whatever word processing program you're using on the left side of your screen, then open the Special Characters menu on the right (located under the Edit menu in the finder).

2. When you need to add an accent, instead of typing the letter into your composition, under the Accented Latin tab, select what you need, and double-click on it. This will automatically insert the accented letter into your text, and will also automatically match the font you're using.

It also helps, if you find yourself typing the same word over and over, or using a preposition frequently, such as à, just type it once, then copy and paste as needed. This saves a lot of time.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Since this is loosely on the same topic :D, how do you make the symbol that is on the apple key (not the apple, but the one that is the set of four loops) from the keyboard? I tried to use the keyboard viewer to figure this out, and I didn't see it anywhere. But I've seen people do it on this forum....

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
mkrishnan said:
Since this is loosely on the same topic :D, how do you make the symbol that is on the apple key (not the apple, but the one that is the set of four loops) from the keyboard? I tried to use the keyboard viewer to figure this out, and I didn't see it anywhere. But I've seen people do it on this forum....
You probably didn't try option+shift+character, did you? It's option+shift+K.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
wrldwzrd89 said:
You probably didn't try option+shift+character, did you? It's option+shift+K.

Hmmm...spell bolor with a "k?" Spell bolor with a "k"? Kolor...kolor...hmmm, what do you know? What a silly bunt. :p

Hmmm....

I did try option+shift in the pallette viewer, but it showed a picture of a solid apple, rather than the loopy thing. But in the font that I get for the text box in FF, I get a solid box instead of either of those two things. I wonder what will happen when I hit submit for this post?

EDIT: hmmmm, no, still seems to be a square box, alas. :( In text edit, though it does make the solid apple....

Thanks though! :)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
mkrishnan said:
Hmmm...spell bolor with a "k?" Spell bolor with a "k"? Kolor...kolor...hmmm, what do you know? What a silly bunt. :p

?

Hmmm....

I did try option+shift in the pallette viewer, but it showed a picture of a solid apple, rather than the loopy thing. But in the font that I get for the text box in FF, I get a solid box instead of either of those two things. I wonder what will happen when I hit submit for this post?

EDIT: hmmmm, no, still seems to be a square box, alas. :( In text edit, though it does make the solid apple....

Thanks though! :)
I'm getting the solid black Apple logo. Maybe you need to play with Firefox's font settings...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.