Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Refer to every Samsung commercial within the past two years. I think we're doing a much friendlier job.

----------

[/COLOR]

It is until they get all these "binding agreements" on you about never saying anything about anything and then they drop your pay to about $3/hour and you're not allowed to say anything about it... :(

Blame Chinese labor law. Better thought: why have we lost so much manufacture in the last 30 years? Lax labor standards.

----------

What if Apple really owned this site :eek:

A lot of people here, Samsung and Google agents, would be expelled personally by Steve.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
I wonder if this means Apple PR execs regularly communicate with MacRumors... maybe Arn and company knows things we don't know!

Well, I would assume that Apple has a team of people dedicated to "buttering up" bloggers, journalists and the likes. At least Nokia used to have one, and I do know that Samsung has people doing that. I would assume that it is something of an industry standard.

gdbleb

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
NJ
Amazing

"Apple feeds the writers who will do its bidding, and starves the ones who won't follow its messaging."

What a novel concept. I hope the auto industry learns from this. Oh wait!

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
What an obnoxious and arrogant response. The domino show doesn't last forever, "bro", and neither will Apple when things like this eventually catch up to them.

Everyone is doing it... but sure. Say what you like. Btw, it was more of a joke than anything else... :roll eyes:

However, Boo-Keun Yoon, I did edit it so it bites a little less. (though it still bites)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'm sorry but Gurman comes across as incredibly bitter. No Apple's not going to give 9to5Mac the time of day but that's their stance with any rumor site. I lost all respect for Gurman when he claimed that Apple renamed and redesigned their Health app (to something worse according to his unnamed sources) because of what he leaked on 9to5Mac. I loved John Gruber's response: http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/06/09/gurman-apple-priorities

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Excuse me that I prefer for folks to have a balanced view of the world.

And while you try to come off like you have some clue about me which is why you know I 'mean well' it fails when you get neither my name nor my gender correct

Wow!:eek: My mistake with your name and gender notwithstanding, how about not tearing me a new one for defending your point. I said you mean well because I thought you meant well. Regardless of how angry you come off. Lesson learned. No need for civility I guess.:confused:

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
So what?

So what you're saying is...

Apple's PR team operates pretty much like...a PR team?

This "exposé" is news to absolutely no one familiar at all with fairly normal PR practices. Hell, while Apple is certainly heavy handed at times, it's not like they're US banks circa 2002-20xx.

----------

So, standard PR practice?

Seems like it to me. They're a bit heavy handed, but they're good at their jobs.

Not sure how this is considered an exposé.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
I'm always surprised at how unaware the average person is of how things happen in the corporate/PR world, but to put things in perspective, if you haven't worked in that field, it really does appear as if things "just happen" - hint, nothing just happens, good PR is an art, but good PR also is the work of psychos and obsessive-compulsive nut cases.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
This has included the retirement of Katie Cotton, who was reportedly seen as a "tyrant" by her employees. Cotton, who was close to Steve Jobs, apparently did not mesh well with Tim Cook's desire to portray Apple as a "friendlier" company, leading to her departure.

Really? This tidbit surprised me.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
I doubt this thread will reach 70 posts. Even though the only thing Gurber said was Apple employs the same tactics as everyone else, a certain element within this forum refuses to acknowledge Apple is no better or worse than any other company. It's a business that's out to make money, not some paragon of virtue.

Gurber's article should neither surprise nor disappoint.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Really? This tidbit surprised me.

I question the accuracy of that. Gurman also insinuated that designer Greg Christie left Apple on not so great terms. Yet other reporting suggests Christie was well respected inside Apple and he truly was retiring because he was burned out after 18 years in a very high pressure job (most of it answering directly to Steve Jobs). Some people like to create drama where there is none.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I'm sorry but Gurman comes across as incredibly bitter. No Apple's not going to give 9to5Mac the time of day but that's their stance with any rumor site. I lost all respect for Gurman when he claimed that Apple renamed and redesigned their Health app (to something worse according to his unnamed sources) because of what he leaked on 9to5Mac. I loved John Gruber's response: http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/06/09/gurman-apple-priorities

You are overthinking this. Anyone who has dealt with Apple PR sees the truth being reported here. Tim Cook ending the Katie Cotton era is a positive development.

With all the pure regurgitation going on theses day in the name of journalism, this piece stands out as an effort to actually report on something.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I think there are at least 10 members on here that work for Apple... just to troll us and shut us up when we're wrong and whining about some Apple thing.

(actually, I'm one, this post just keeps me out of suspicion.)

I thought Apple employees were banned from being on rumour sites like this one?

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
So, standard PR practice?

Seriously though. I'm not sure what the taking point of Gurman's publication is supposed to be. Of course Apple pays attention to its media coverage. No multibillion dollar corporation operates with its head in the sand, oblivious to what people are saying about them.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Seriously though. I'm not sure what the taking point of Gurman's publication is supposed to be. Of course Apple pays attention to its media coverage. No multibillion dollar corporation operates with its head in the sand, oblivious to what people are saying about them.

Duh. He's trying to make the world a better place. Just like all bloggers. :cool:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville

Every company manages PR, but Apple has made it into an art form

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
OMFG, a total of 30 PR people in Cupertino for a huge multinational like Apple. The sky is surely falling.

nothing in this article goes beyond standard PR practices. And nothing comes close to sleazy tactics regularly employed by Samsung, like paying bloggers for fake reviews.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.