Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
Microsoft also has a thing called Hyperlapse: http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/11/microsofts-found-a-way-to-banish-gopro-shakycam-footage/

These don't seem to be related (except that both are image/video processing processes) and I can't see those two companies working together.

Did they not google the name first?

Hyperlapse describes the technology of editing/manipulating timelapse videos to make them appear more smoothly. So it is more of a general term describing that technology rather than a catchy product name.
Plus, I think few people outside the tech blogoshpere are aware of that MS Research (although it is truly fantastic work).

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
I would say the Instagram Hyperlapse is good for handheld time-lapse movies.
But using it on a bicycle doesn't do much at all.

RobNYC

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
Considering it's free it's probably worth checking out. You can always delete it if you end up hating it.

----------

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. The trend is for things to get shorter and shorter (vine, instagram video). I think unfortunately this will bore the younger generations too quickly! When was the last time you shot a 5 minute clip on your iPhone?

I'm happy to be proved wrong as I love creating this sort of content but sadly I think it won't be widely adopted.

They actually have two timers when recording. One shows the currently length of the video and the other shows the length of the video after the effect so you can get an idea right away how much footage you've shot or need to keep shooting.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
According to the Wired article, Hyperlapse is not currently possible on Android because it lacks the proper APIs.

I always thought Google was years ahead of iOS in the features department. Guess I was wrong.

I also thought fragmentation wasn't real and that Android gets the same apps as iOS at the same time.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
I'm surprised Schiller didn't save this for the iPhone Keynote and bore the crap out of everyone.
Didn't Apple already demo similar capability for Mac OS in iMovie? I'm certain I saw a keynote demo where a video clip was auto-stabilized and sped-up/slowed-down as a part of the editing process.

I realize that getting the capability in real-time in your phone isn't the same thing, but it also doesn't make the app revolutionary.

Now, if it would somehow let you snap stills over time and combine them into a time-lapse video (using timestamps to interpolate frames to compensate for the fact that humans aren't precision timers), that would be truly novel, IMO.
Agreed, i dont really see the use-case for this app... its not any different than shooting a video and playing it back at 10x speed... you still have to film for the entire time you want to make a time lapse
Well, that would depend on how it works. If it is recording a full 30fps, only speeding it up on playback, then yes, it's pointless. For that, I'd rather just use iMovie. But if it is actually dropping the skipped frames as it records, then it will make your storage last much longer. You could record an day's worth of time-lapse without consuming all of your flash. Of course, if you're going to let it run for a day, you'd better have it mounted on something or your arms are going to get very tired very fast.
Oh great i can time lapse a sunrise if i hold my camera up for an hour... meanwhile i miss the beauty of the sunrise cause im staring at mt phone's screen...
Well, this is the problem everybody has whenever they want to record a memorable event. You really can't enjoy it when you're busy concentrating on the recording. I've sacrificed my personal enjoyment of many of my daughter's school performances in order to have a recording to edit and give to her grandparents later on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.