Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
Apparently, Instagram has changed their privacy settings and alerted me to a message stating “With the latest iOS update, Apple has removed the limit as tracking privacy setting you had turned on for your device.”

The message continues to say, “To respect your previous choice, we’re not showing you personal ads based on data about your activity from partners. You can change this setting at any time.”

I’m not clear what change they are referring to. I know limit as tracking moved to a new tracking feature in privacy that is automatically disabled.

See the images I’ve included.

Attachments

• F823AA84-081B-4F88-AA45-CADC666827BF.jpeg
    F823AA84-081B-4F88-AA45-CADC666827BF.jpeg
    306.1 KB · Views: 394
  • 8F7D2812-D1B4-487E-8E87-1D7CC6A5D0A0.png
    8F7D2812-D1B4-487E-8E87-1D7CC6A5D0A0.png
    204.2 KB · Views: 273
  • DAADC46C-1475-4D81-AF1F-2BCC15A3713E.png
    DAADC46C-1475-4D81-AF1F-2BCC15A3713E.png
    972.7 KB · Views: 251

Bippyboppy

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2020
Same just happened to me. Either Apple is quietly letting the big players like Facebook circumvent their do-not-track system, or this is Facebook engaging in sneaky disinformation against Apple to try to discredit Apple’s anti-tracking system because it is crippling Facebook’s monetisation model. My money is on the latter.

TheColtr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2014
California
Apparently, Instagram has changed their privacy settings and alerted me to a message stating “With the latest iOS update, Apple has removed the limit as tracking privacy setting you had turned on for your device.”

The message continues to say, “To respect your previous choice, we’re not showing you personal ads based on data about your activity from partners. You can change this setting at any time.”

I’m not clear what change they are referring to. I know limit as tracking moved to a new tracking feature in privacy that is automatically disabled.

See the images I’ve included.
Interesting, my “tracking” section in privacy is greyed out.

• Wow
Reactions: jumpcutking

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
Same just happened to me. Either Apple is quietly letting the big players like Facebook circumvent their do-not-track system, or this is Facebook engaging in sneaky disinformation against Apple to try to discredit Apple’s anti-tracking system because it is crippling Facebook’s monetisation model. My money is on the latter.
The latter. Apple renamed the setting and probably changed the key/value pair. Facebook is being scummy yet again.

SegNerd

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2020
Are you sure this means “you can’t turn it on anymore”? I thought it meant “you can’t turn it OFF anymore.” That sounds more Apple-y to me. :)

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
I have noticed that Facebook still shows ads based on my browsing history, despite me explicitly turning that tracking off. Facebook (and Instagram under FB) don't care about the rules or your settings.
Delete the app if that’s the case. If enough people do that then they will begin to care about the rules or your settings.

Reactions: crawfish963

Bippyboppy

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2020
Yeah, in the absence of a reasonable explanation of this messge from either Facebook or Apple, I’ve deleted the Instagram app. Well done Facebook.

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020

I think Facebook, and Instagram, have found away to share a "device tag" with the device - or - are using information form a device that they shouldn't have. I've seen Facebook and Ads showing they know more about me than I want them to. I don't like being tracked by big companies - it feels so disingenuous and feels like a form of identity theft or robbery.

Reactions: johnmarki

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
Are you sure this means “you can’t turn it on anymore”? I thought it meant “you can’t turn it OFF anymore.” That sounds more Apple-y to me. :)
Yeah, that's what I was told. That you have to opt-in to permit apps to "request" tracking... but Facebook and Instagram both - are now tracking more data than I have previously allowed. Scary world.

Reactions: SegNerd

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
Delete the app if that’s the case. If enough people do that then they will begin to care about the rules or your settings.
True... but how else will we get our social media fix... also... just made those apps go away - except Instagram... I'm addicted.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I started to use Friendly+ for Instagram. It is blocking ads and tracking and makes me feel a little less „stalked“ since Instagram ads are always so precise, that I feel like they are listening. It’s creepy. Now those ads are out of sight lol and as a side bonus feature, it lets you view Instagram photos in full screen with a Download Option

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
I started to use Friendly+ for Instagram. It is blocking ads and tracking and makes me feel a little less „stalked“ since Instagram ads are always so precise, that I feel like they are listening. It’s creepy. Now those ads are out of sight lol and as a side bonus feature, it lets you view Instagram photos in full screen with a Download Option
I started using Friendly+ for all social media. It’s a very freeing experience! Social media but at moderation without them lurking over your shoulders... and saying... “Ha, We could sell that... come see this!”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.