Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CMG91

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2018
Ever since the release of of iPadOS 13, I cannot get any sound from Stories on Instagram in Safari. Sound on videos posted in the regular feed works fine. I use Safari to view Instagram on my iPad Pro because the Instagram app doesn't work in landscape mode. Has anybody else noticed this? It always worked fine with iOS 12.. Not sure if this is an iPadOS/Safari bug or an Instagram bug. Any advice or insight is appreciated!

Last edited:

smartygus

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2017
I've also been annoyed by this. I am fairly certain it's to do with the fact that the videos in Stories play automatically, and videos that play automatically are muted/silent as a matter of policy in Safari (which I generally find to be a good thing!).
Unfortunately, Instagram doesn't provide any video controls in the Stories interface, so there's no way to interact with the video to turn the sound on.
There is a workaround, but it's a bit fiddly: You need to setup a bookmarklet that triggers fullscreen for the currently playing video via Javascript, and then you can use the Apple-native controls in the video player to turn the volume up. But you have to do this for every single story. Like I said: it's a bit fiddly.

If you haven't setup a javascript bookmarklet before this post on Reddit has the steps: https://www.reddit.com/r/ipad/comments/87cog9
The javascript in my bookmarklet is slightly different though. Here for reference:

JavaScript:
javascript:document.querySelector(%22video%22).webkitEnterFullScreen();

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Reactions: s2eves and CMG91

CMG91

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2018
Wow!! Definitely a bid fiddly but it works! Beats having to grab my iPhone just to hear what someone is saying in a story once in a while. Hopefully Instagram / Apple figures out a real fix eventually. I’m not sure if it’s something Apple needs to fix with Safari or Instagram needs to fix, but I reported the issue to both. Thanks for the temp workaround though, I’ll definitely be using this in the meantime!

s2eves

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2019
I’ve just realized when my iPad is sending all audio to a HomePod, I get sound for Instagram Stories in Safari. It’s almost certainly a glitch as I must begin by hitting play on any regular video before playing the Stories.

Also, this doesn’t seem to work with AirPods, therefore without a HomePod this isn’t a solution for most of us, albeit less fiddly than loading a bookmarklet for every 10-second video.

CMG91

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2018
I’ve just realized when my iPad is sending all audio to a HomePod, I get sound for Instagram Stories in Safari. It’s almost certainly a glitch as I must begin by hitting play on any regular video before playing the Stories.

Also, this doesn’t seem to work with AirPods, therefore without a HomePod this isn’t a solution for most of us, albeit less fiddly than loading a bookmarklet for every 10-second video.
Interesting, I can’t get this to work. Currently running 13.5

s2eves

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2019
Interesting, I can’t get this to work. Currently running 13.5

Running 13.4.1 here. All I do is begin playing a video post in my feed or IGTV video from a user page, return home, and the Stories’ sound plays on HomePod. I‘ve noticed if I play through dozens of Highlights on a user page, it eventually stops loading so I have to refresh the page and start over. Good luck

wrandgallphl

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2020
I found the fix for desktop Safari. Maybe its similar to iPad.
Safari>Preferences>Auto-Play>Instagram>Allow All Auto-Play

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.