Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1984world

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 26, 2008
Hello,

My boy has an ipod 4, on 6.1.6 and he deleted his instagram app. I've attempted to reinstall it from itunes (doesn't work), and also to download it directly onto the device using the appstore app. When I attempt to do that, it says he needs to update to ios 7.0 in order to download the app. I was under the impression that there was a way to download the app if your software version was unable to updated any higher (he is at the highest software update offered by apple). Any suggestions on how to get this to work?

Appreciate the info.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Hello,

My boy has an ipod 4, on 6.1.6 and he deleted his instagram app. I've attempted to reinstall it from itunes (doesn't work), and also to download it directly onto the device using the appstore app. When I attempt to do that, it says he needs to update to ios 7.0 in order to download the app. I was under the impression that there was a way to download the app if your software version was unable to updated any higher (he is at the highest software update offered by apple).

That's only if the dev has made that option available. I have an iPad 3 running iOS 5.1.1 and there are many devs who allow the option to use an earlier version. Sometimes they don't and you can't download it, if you don't meet the OS requirement.

1984world

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 26, 2008
That's only if the dev has made that option available. I have an iPad 3 running iOS 5.1.1 and there are many devs who allow the option to use an earlier version. Sometimes they don't and you can't download it, if you don't meet the OS requirement.

Good point. I would have thought that Instagram would have done this.

mcalict

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2013
I don't know if there's an "official" process, but I pieced this together when I still had an iPhone 4 on iOS6. You might give it a try and see if it works. It does take multiple steps, and requires iTunes, but it worked for me, for Apps that had an iOS6 app in the Appstore (at the time I was successful with Four Square and the Apple Remote apps)...

1.) Download the app (iOS7 version) using iTunes on my Mac.
2.) Switch, and from the App Store on your iPhone, find the app you want.
3.) Notice the "cloud" icon indicating you already own it. Click to install.
4.) A pop-up asks "Download an older version of this app? The current version requires iOS 7.0 or later, but you can download the last compatible version."
5.) Select Download.

To back-up your iOS 6 app in iTunes…
6.) Launch iTunes.
7.) From the Library pop-up menu, choose Apps (this was an older version of iTunes)
8.) Click the app that you want to delete (remember, this is the iOS7 app).
9.) Press the Delete on your keyboard.
10.) Sync as normal and the iOS6 version of the app should sync.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.