Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LABANA

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2015
Hi everyone!

I just purchased a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)...great machine!

I have installed Mojave 10.14.6, but I would like to install/copy the Mojave system I have on my MacPro 5.1, so I'll avoid to re-install all my software and plugging's again!

What is the fastest & effective way?... anyone came to same conclusion?

Any help is appreciated!

Here's the options I think would work:

- I would start the MacBook as Firewire Disk (cmd+T) and copy clone the whole HD but... would that work?

- Time machine backup from the Mojave HD on the MacPro and then Install on the MacBook over USB?

- Copy Clone Mojave HD on an External HD and then Install on MacBook...

What would you do?

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I think I have done all the options listed, and the only one I can't remember if it worked was using Target Disk Mode. I feel like maybe CCC wouldn't let me clone over to a drive in TDM, but I cannot remember.

I have only did a recovery from Time Machine only like once, and it was incredibly slow, so I never bothered again.

Cloning to an external definitely works, although when I cloned the OS from a MBP to an iMac, it showed the iMac as a MBP on the sidebar of the finder window. I am not sure if that is correctable, as it didn't concern me when it happened.

Would the Migration Assistant not work for your needs?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
As mentioned above, Migration Assistant would be the first step I'd recommend after installing the latest OS on BOTH machines. Can even take the drive out of the MP5,1 and connect to MBP via USB to make connections a bit easier.

LABANA

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2015
As mentioned above, Migration Assistant would be the first step I'd recommend after installing the latest OS on BOTH machines. Can even take the drive out of the MP5,1 and connect to MBP via USB to make connections a bit easier.
Hola!

Thank for answering!... Ill inform my self about migration assistant and Ill see if it matches my needs... I can't tell, for me, as long as install all my softwares and plugging's... that it be awesome!

Otherwise would be 3 days downloading and copying codes and installing... well... a pain...! ,-)

Thank for tip, I'll see!

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
I think the "recommended" solution would be migration assistant - which can copy between two macs or from a time machine backup to another mac.

Technically, all of the options you listed would work.
There is also disk utility or command line tools (e.g. dd) that would work, but I'd start with migration assistant and wouldn't look at anything else unless that failed for some reason.

Good luck!

LABANA

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2015
OK now!

I solved in a 3 step the solution but 100% good!.. I'd say! ;-)

1 - I did a CCC from my M.2 on the 5.1 to an external HD(please do it at least to a SSD, otherwise take your time)
2 - Did a CCC from the external HD to Internal SSD on Macbook
3 - Install Mojave again on the Internal SSD(because of the missing files/recovery Partition)

Voila!... All working at 100% TOP!

Just a couple of codes, Passwords and relink folders... but that's the least! ;-)

Thank guys for the help, it did help to know some basic knowledge about this topic!

And main thing, I could stay away from terminal! ;-)...not my thing! ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.