Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ing_M

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2018
After spending a couple of nights reading and trying out different suggestions, I'm hoping someone with more experience could help me shine a light on this please (This forum has been great helping me on the way but I have to admit I'm stuck now!)

I bought a new MBP 11,5 (Retina, 15 inch, Mid 2015). I replaced the hard disc with a brand new, clean SSD to have 960GB internal storage. My goal is to keep running Adobe CS5.1 on this machine and also to merge my two existing MBPs on this new 'Super Machine'.

The two MBPs I intend to merge are a 15 inch MBP from 2011 running on Snow Leopard 10.6.8 (which has the Adobe CS5.1 on it), and a 13 inch MBP from late 2013 running on El Capitan 10.11.6. Each back up is approx. 230 GB so there should be plenty of space for this. A dual boot would be great.

So far, I have installed the El Capitan MBP Time Machine backup on the new machine and made a partition in the hope to install the MBP 10.6.8 on the other half of the HD through my Snow Leopard Time Machine backup. However I don't seem to be able to succeed and keep running into error messages (can't downgrade, not enough space – which there is).

I was thinking to wipe the SSD clean and install the oldest MBP Time Machine backup (Snow Leopard) first, then partition the SSD again and hopefully install the El Capitan Time Machine backup on the second partition. I'm struggling to find the right way forward.

Will this work? Any ideas are much appreciated!

Many thanks!

Reactions: miksat

miksat

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2018
Republic of Serbia
Here's the problem...

The 2015 MBP can't run Snow Leopard at all as it doesn't have driver support on 10.6. You'll probably need to reinstall CS5.1 on the 2015 MBP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.