Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qaz123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2018
UK
Have an iMac think it’s around 2006 G5. It had Tiger installed on it, this was not my install, it seemed ok with no files all deleted. We wanted to Clean install a version of Leopard factory discs, reasonably simple procedure. These disks though came with a later 2006 MacBook I bought brand new. We went ahead started it key C disc 1 but the Mac got passed language section then started to install and message said cannot install Mac OS X on this computer. We messed about but then ended up erasing the existing HD with the install Disk Utility Incase this was causing problem. Now we only have the flashing (?) Folder at computer start. I can get in past the language section with my Leopard disks booting with C but same thing happens. The old HD is still showing though in the disk utility drop down menu when I’m at this stage.
Can anyone help please

Poncho

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Holland
If it's a G5 it's a PowerPC processor so if I remember correctly you should be able to install Leopard, though sounds like the Leopard install CD might be for a different configuration of a G5 Mac

Flashing Folder with ? on it simply means the computer can't find an operating system to boot from, which makes sense as you have erased the operating system from the original HD. It also tells you that the computer is only looking at the original HD to see if there is an operating system to be found there.

The original HD hasn't gone away, which is why it is showing in the drop down menu when Disk Utility is selected when booting from the Leopard install disk.

You could try pressing and holding the Option key immediately after hearing the Mac startup chime. A menu should appear where you can select a disc or drive to boot from. Use the keyboard arrows to choose your boot device, then press the Enter key.

qaz123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2018
UK
If it's a G5 it's a PowerPC processor so if I remember correctly you should be able to install Leopard, though sounds like the Leopard install CD might be for a different configuration of a G5 Mac

Flashing Folder with ? on it simply means the computer can't find an operating system to boot from, which makes sense as you have erased the operating system from the original HD. It also tells you that the computer is only looking at the original HD to see if there is an operating system to be found there.

The original HD hasn't gone away, which is why it is showing in the drop down menu when Disk Utility is selected when booting from the Leopard install disk.

You could try pressing and holding the Option key immediately after hearing the Mac startup chime. A menu should appear where you can select a disc or drive to boot from. Use the keyboard arrows to choose your boot device, then press the Enter key.
Hi, thanks for your reply I tried that started the Mac (with no disk ) & held down option key but still shows flashing (?) any more suggestions for me please.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"We wanted to Clean install a version of Leopard factory discs, reasonably simple procedure. These disks though came with a later 2006 MacBook I bought brand new."

The problem is that the version of the OS that comes on the "install DVDs" for a MacBook probably doesn't have "the correct resources" to boot and install to an iMac -- two different computers. That's why you get the msg that it "cannot install Mac OS X on this computer". You're trying to install it onto the wrong computer.

What you need -- if they issued one (it's been a while, memory fails me) -- is a "generic", "retail release" copy of Leopard. This is a "universal install" DVD that can install the OS onto any Mac.

I'd look on ebay to see if a "full retail" install DVD is available.

If not, you might be able to scrounge up a copy of Leopard from (cough, choke!) "other non-authorized channels" that might do the job.

qaz123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2018
UK
Thanks for that info. I had a suspicion the install disk where probably for MacBook not for iMac So have you read the rest of my post about the problem that I am facing with the Erased HD

qaz123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2018
UK
OP wrote:
"We wanted to Clean install a version of Leopard factory discs, reasonably simple procedure. These disks though came with a later 2006 MacBook I bought brand new."

The problem is that the version of the OS that comes on the "install DVDs" for a MacBook probably doesn't have "the correct resources" to boot and install to an iMac -- two different computers. That's why you get the msg that it "cannot install Mac OS X on this computer". You're trying to install it onto the wrong computer.

What you need -- if they issued one (it's been a while, memory fails me) -- is a "generic", "retail release" copy of Leopard. This is a "universal install" DVD that can install the OS onto any Mac.

I'd look on ebay to see if a "full retail" install DVD is available.

If not, you might be able to scrounge up a copy of Leopard from (cough, choke!) "other non-authorized channels" that might do the job.
Hi there got hold a version of lion that I’m assured is ok for the iMac. My problem now is ( if u read my posts ) the older HD was mistakenly erased. When I start the iMac just flashing (?). Now I’ve tried many different boot commands with no success. The best I can get is I can start the install process with the other Leopard disk but it’s not allowed to install. I can however get disk utilities menus on this. I can still see the previous erased HD on the left drop down. I cannot install to this maybe the drivers are affected I don’t know. No recovery command seem to work on startup. Can you help me either bring this back or can you help me with maybe creating a new partition anything I can clean install this new lion install disk I have.
I would be very happy for help with this as love to get this old Mac running as it has been before.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
What you need to do is:
1. Boot from the install DVD
2. Don't run the installer yet (if it opens).
3. Quit the installer and open Disk Utility
4. Select the physical drive (inside), and erase it (I believe the choice will be Mac OS extended).
5. If that works, now open the installer and see if the OS can be installed.

If this doesn't work, I'd guess that:
- you STILL don't have the right install DVD
or
- something wrong with the hard drive inside.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.