Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
I am trying to import RAW video files (Canon EOS R3 (.CRM)) into FCP (V 10.6.9). When I select import, the files are grayed-out and a pop-up appears that sates, "The files could not be imported. The selected files were not imported because one or more required 3rd-party plug-ins are not installed."

Canon's response is, "All we can do it direct you to the LUT files. We cannot provide any instructions beyond that."
Apple Tech Support is stumped. They say in order to use a LUT, the file must first be imported into FCP. They do not know why I cannot import the files.

The Canon files consist of 2 folders (3dlut & 1dult). Within each of these folders there's more folders and finally several .cube files.

Below I've included the screen shot for the FCP pop-up, LUT files, and Canon instructions on how to install the files into FCP.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 6.43.35 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 6.43.35 AM.png
    161.3 KB · Views: 144
  • Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 8.02.57 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 8.02.57 AM.png
    518.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 5.43.18 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 5.43.18 AM.png
    115 KB · Views: 46

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
PS - First time importing RAW video files. I have not worked with RAW files or imported them in FCP or any other program.
MacOS (Ventura 13.6)

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I am trying to import RAW video files (Canon EOS R3 (.CRM)) into FCP (V 10.6.9). When I select import, the files are grayed-out and a pop-up appears that sates, "The files could not be imported. The selected files were not imported because one or more required 3rd-party plug-ins are not installed."

Canon's response is, "All we can do it direct you to the LUT files. We cannot provide any instructions beyond that."
Apple Tech Support is stumped. They say in order to use a LUT, the file must first be imported into FCP. They do not know why I cannot import the files.

The Canon files consist of 2 folders (3dlut & 1dult). Within each of these folders there's more folders and finally several .cube files.

Below I've included the screen shot for the FCP pop-up, LUT files, and Canon instructions on how to install the files into FCP.
Have you looked at Apple's document on this? Import Canon Cinema RAW Light files into Final Cut Pro for Mac - Apple Support

Reactions: R S K

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Yes. Thus followed by the included image.
If you go here, and set your OS to macOS Monterey v12, you can scroll down and find the "Canon RAW Plugin 2.6 for Final Cut Pro:"
As for whether it supports video from the R3, who knows.

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
If you go here, and set your OS to macOS Monterey v12, you can scroll down and find the "Canon RAW Plugin 2.6 for Final Cut Pro:"
I've been to that page. And yes, that is where the files are located. However, there are no instructions on how to load the files into FCP.

I'm confident someone works with Canon RAW video files.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Is this about RAW import, LUT import, or both? The import of LUTs into FCP is explained here by Apple. The difference between 1d- and 3d-LUTs is basically that1D Luts are excellent for setting contrast, the white point , or overall color balance adjustments. They do little to convey more complex color grading. A 3D LUT places color and luma in a 3D space (a.k.a. a „cube”, see your screenshot with the .cube LUT files) which is quite representative of how color works in the real world.
Otherwise: do you have installed the obligatory Canon RAW plugin for FCP?

Reactions: Average Pro

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I've been to that page. And yes, that is where the files are located. However, there are no instructions on how to load the files into FCP.

I'm confident someone works with Canon RAW video files.
You need to download that plugin installer and run it. That then ought to allow you to import raw video just the same as any other video type.

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
Is this about RAW import, LUT import, or both?

Something I can't figure out entirely either.

The real question is: why do you insist on using external LUTs in the first place? Have you actually shot with a non-standard LUT? Because if not, what's the point? Why are FC's built-in camera LUTs not sufficient? Whereby a camera LUT and a grading LUT are two different things that should not be confused. Using the OEM camera LUT makes a lot of sense. Everything else can just as easily be done with a regular wheels and/or curves filter.

And if you have in fact installed the RAW plugin (which somehow I doubt, reading the above), I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

However, there are no instructions on how to load the files into FCP

What instructions? It's an installer. You double-click it and follow the instructions?

Canon RAW works just fine and as it should here.

CRL.png

Of course any and all LUTs are completely irrelevant and useless if you don't have the plugin installed first and foremost. How are you going to apply a LUT to footage you can't even read?

Canon RAW is Canon RAW, which is what the plugin is for, not for camera-specific functionality. Which camera it's from is irrelevant.

Last edited:

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
Something I can't figure out entirely either.

The real question is: why do you insist on using external LUTs in the first place? Have you actually shot with a non-standard LUT? Because if not, what's the point? Why are FC's built-in camera LUTs not sufficient? Whereby a camera LUT and a grading LUT are two different things that should not be confused. Using the OEM camera LUT makes a lot of sense. Everything else can just as easily be done with a regular wheels and/or curves filter.

And if you have in fact installed the RAW plugin (which somehow I doubt, reading the above), I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

What instructions? It's an installer. You double-click it and follow the instructions?

Canon RAW works just fine and as it should here.

CRL.png

Of course any and all LUTs are completely irrelevant and useless if you don't have the plugin installed first and foremost. How are you going to apply a LUT to footage you can't even read?

Canon RAW is Canon RAW, which is what the plugin is for, not for camera-specific functionality. Which camera it's from is irrelevant.

Ah, a plug in. It appears that is where I need to begin. In the event I was not clear in the beginning, this is how I arrived at where I am.

Upon receiving the "you're missing a 3rd party plug in", I contacted Canon. Canon direct me to the following page and instructs me to provide to select the OS, hit enter and download the files. After selecting Ventura, there is only one file to download. The downloaded files are LUTs. When I ask Canon how to install them, they respond, "we cannot provide any instruction. All we can do is point you to the files." I say that the "instruction" tab on the Canon page has no information. They repeat that they cannot help. I reach out to Apple and they are perplexed.

Now, going back to the original page, I see there are 58 downloadable files under OS Catalina. And some of them clearly show they are PlugIns. Based on everyone's input above, I agree, I first need to install a plug in. Not sure why Canon did not provide me with this piece of info

So my question to the community is: which PlugIn do I select from the page? If I input Venture in the pull down, there are no PlugIns available.

Also, I don't really care about LUTs. At this time, I just want to see my 6k (RAW) video file.

Here is the link to the page?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Ah, a plug in. It appears that is where I need to begin. In the event I was not clear in the beginning, this is how I arrived at where I am.

Upon receiving the "you're missing a 3rd party plug in", I contacted Canon. Canon direct me to the following page and instructs me to provide to select the OS, hit enter and download the files. After selecting Ventura, there is only one file to download. The downloaded files are LUTs. When I ask Canon how to install them, they respond, "we cannot provide any instruction. All we can do is point you to the files." I say that the "instruction" tab on the Canon page has no information. They repeat that they cannot help. I reach out to Apple and they are perplexed.

Now, going back to the original page, I see there are 58 downloadable files under OS Catalina. And some of them clearly show they are PlugIns. Based on everyone's input above, I agree, I first need to install a plug in. Not sure why Canon did not provide me with this piece of info

So my question to the community is: which PlugIn do I select from the page? If I input Venture in the pull down, there are no PlugIns available.

Also, I don't really care about LUTs. At this time, I just want to see my 6k (RAW) video file.

Here is the link to the page?
My instructions in post 5 will also get you the plugin. Follow the steps I wrote exactly, including setting your macOS version to v12 Monterey, or use the direct link in post 7. It does not really seem as though you’ve read any of the posts trying to help you.

Reactions: R S K

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
So my question to the community is: which PlugIn do I select from the page?

You literally quoted my post that had the direct link in it. 🙄

And if you have in fact installed the RAW plugin

It does not really seem as though you’ve read any of the posts trying to help you.

It certainly doesn't.

And (only) my link leads to the latest version btw.

But to be fair, Canon's "support" page is a convoluted mess. Actually finding the latest (or any) version by "normal" means is almost impossible. The fact that it only lists the plugin when you select Monterey is in itself a clear indicator of this, and inexcusable IMHO.

As far as Apple is concerned, I can only surmise that they assumed that you actually followed the instructions that are clearly laid out on their support page—which "chrfr" posted in the very first response—which includes a link (although it also leads to a confusing page and an old version of the plugin, which I've reported), which is probably why it appeared "perplexing" to them!

Last edited:

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
And just like that...fixed. Thank you all for your input. What threw me off on some of the responses was the instruction to set my OS at to Monterey. So here are my instructions for the next person.

(1) Go to: Canon Support for EOS C200 | Canon U.S.A., Inc.
(2) From the Operating System pull-down tab, on the page, select "Mac" if it didn't already automatically detect it.
(3) From the Version pull-down tab, on the page, select "macOS Monterey v12". Yes, this works for macOS Ventura.
(4) Scroll down, approximately 10 items, to "Canon RAW Plugin 2.6 for Final Cut Pro" and select download. You may have to click on the "Load More" button to see it.
(5) Open the folder and double click the file "RPFMinstaller"
(6) Follow the instructions
(7) Launch FCP
(8) Done

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
But then that is exactly where you land if you simply follow the instructions on Apple's support page, and click the"download the appropriate Canon plug-in for Final Cut Pro" link under 2., as you were told above. More than once.

Whereby, again, the site is admittedly poorly done. The fact that you have to click the extremely inconspicuous LOAD MORE RESULTS button at the bottom to see the download is anything but obvious.

Or whoever ends up here with the same issue can just simply click my link to bypass the whole song and dance.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.