Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
I want to install 512 ram on my son's mini for a Christmas gift.
It will cost $130 plus tax at my apple store to have them install it.

It's around $100 at Frys but Apple said if it's not a certified technician then the warranty is voided.
But I could install it myself it's just fine regarding warranty (that makes no sense).

They said if I bring in Apple memory they would install it but it has to come from the Apple store to have the "seal?" or stamp on it? So if I buy it used (helix) for example out of someones machine that apple put in there, they won't consider it "apple approved"? Any ideas about that? I may just be talking to pimply faced kids who don't know much.

Would anyone recommend a non mechanical novice to try to install memory on my machine myself?

Thanks in advance...Brenda

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
oh, my,
1. you can get a 1G ram at newegg.com for around $100,
2. I installed my 1G ram by myself, there is a video to show you exactly how to do it. http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/installation.cfm
Apples decision is half about quality, half about business. and I don;t think I can make any comment about if u should do i yourself. LOL, you can check those video out, and decide if you are ok to do it.

lmcintyre

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2006
This may be a long shot, but around where I live (pgh PA) there is a place called mac outfitters. Its pretty much just like an apple store, they sell all the same products and they are apple certified technicians. They will do 3rd party ram installs for like 15 bucks. Ask around and see if you have any places like that in your area.

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
Good idea

Clevin since you are from Dallas do you know any places like Imcintyre's talking about by chance?
B

oh, my,
1. you can get a 1G ram at newegg.com for around $100,
2. I installed my 1G ram by myself, there is a video to show you exactly how to do it. http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/installation.cfm
Apples decision is half about quality, half about business. and I don;t think I can make any comment about if u should do i yourself. LOL, you can check those video out, and decide if you are ok to do it.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Just do whatever you think makes sense. If the machine ever has to go back to Apple for repair, just remove the new RAM you put in.

Simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.