Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Assaslay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2022
Hey, would it be possible one. 32GB USB stick to use as an alternative HDD or SSD.? If so, how do I have to format the USB stick so that it counts as an HDD hard drive without problems during the installation? is first of all only an alternative because my logic board would only be there in 2 weeks. In 2-4 days I will get a USB to SATA cable with which it could theoretically run like before. I would only be interested if a USB stick with 32GB could replace an HDD where I theoretically don't need a bootable USB stick via recovery (CMD + Alt + R). I just don't know how I have to format the USB stick so that it is recognized as an HDD and thus temporarily have MacOS again, yes, with little memory, but it should be enough for my project.

I want to use the installation directly from the Apple servers in Recovery (CMD + Alt +R) without a boot stick and use my 32GB stick as an HDD alternative so that MacOS runs on the 32GB stick.

only we would have to format the usb stick in such a way that Apple thinks it is an external hard drive. Or is 32GB not enough? I'm always stuck in the stick, maybe I'll upload a photo. Nothing happens further than what can be seen on my MacBook. I know it can take up to 24g but I've been trying to install it for 48 hours with no success

I just have to know how to format the USB so that it is recognized as an HDD because I've already tried it but I'm in the middle of a problem...

I heard that Mac OS Extended (HFS+) should work, but it didn't work for me. After formatting I go to install Mac OS Catalina and it does everything perfectly except for a bit from about 80% even got to the gray screen with a mouse but nothing more came and that after 48 hours

Sorry is Google translator

Attachments

• 78192C16-DF83-41A3-98EB-437B4BC324BC.jpeg
    78192C16-DF83-41A3-98EB-437B4BC324BC.jpeg
    690 KB · Views: 231

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
because my logic board would only be there in 2 weeks
Maybe I'm missing the point, but how is your computer operating with a faulty logic board? And what warranted a replacement?

To answer your questions:
  1. 32GB is not enough for Catalina. The system alone takes up 12 GB, then you need all the rest of your files, etc.
  2. No, any drive Catalina is installed on MUST be formatted as APFS - only way it works.
  3. Maybe I missed it, but what MacBook Pro is that? Is it a 2012 unibody?
  4. Also, a thumb drive is far too slow to run macOS (I've tried it several times on various Macs, to no success on any of them). Do you have an external hard drive or SSD? Or is that the only option until the new logic board/SATA cable comes?
But make sure if you try again that you use APFS and GUID - that should work.

Last edited:

Assaslay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2022
Maybe I'm missing the point, but how is your computer operating with a faulty logic board? And what warranted a replacement?

To answer your questions:
  1. 32GB is not enough for Catalina. The system alone takes up 12 GB, then you need all the rest of your files, etc.
  2. No, any drive Catalina is installed on MUST be formatted as APFS - only way it works.
  3. Maybe I missed it, but what MacBook Pro is that? Is it a 2012 unibody?
  4. Also, a thumb drive is far too slow to run macOS (I've tried it several times on various Macs, to no success on any of them). Do you have an external hard drive or SSD? Or is that the only option until the new logic board/SATA cable comes?
But make sure if you try again that you use APFS and GUID - that should work.
yes it is a macbook pro mid 2012.
the logic board will be gone, it no longer recognizes wifi and no internal hdds or ssds.

I could still use a 64GB stick as a 2 hard drive for the remaining files.

Exactly that should only be a temporary measure as long as I get the usb to sata cable in a few days, because I still need the mac today. then the new logic board is installed and then everything runs again via 2x 250gb ssds but as long as this has not been clarified I would try the usb as an alternative.

„Maybe I'm missing the point, but how is your computer operating with a faulty logic board? And what warranted a replacement?"

Answer:
I don't have the greatest amount of money because my father would pay for a new logic board and the macbook is very important to me and I wouldn't have the money for a new one.

Assaslay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2022
yes it is a macbook pro mid 2012.
the logic board will be gone, it no longer recognizes wifi and no internal hdds or ssds.

I could still use a 64GB stick as a 2 hard drive for the remaining files.

Exactly that should only be a temporary measure as long as I get the usb to sata cable in a few days, because I still need the mac today. then the new logic board is installed and then everything runs again via 2x 250gb ssds but as long as this has not been clarified I would try the usb as an alternative.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I don't have the greatest amount of money because my father would pay for a new logic board and the macbook is very important to me and I wouldn't have the money for a new one.
Ah, ok, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. Sorry you're in such a tricky situation.

NOW, you should try to install the OS on the 64 GB and put files on the 32 GB, that makes the most sense I think.

So try that out and let me know the results.

Assaslay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2022
Ah, ok, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. Sorry you're in such a tricky situation.

NOW, you should try to install the OS on the 64 GB and put files on the 32 GB, that makes the most sense I think.

So try that out and let me know the results.
but with the 32gb stick it would have to work eiehntlich auxh but then only have cs 5-7gb free and could use the 64gb stick as an external hard drive. I produce bests, so I saw it as more useful. I'll give an update when the time comes. sometimes it can take up to 24 hours...

Assaslay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2022
Update:
It Stuck over 10h…

Attachments

• F0FB6070-F648-4203-8546-D97295F67726.jpeg
    F0FB6070-F648-4203-8546-D97295F67726.jpeg
    947.2 KB · Views: 71

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Hmmm, Try it again - maybe on the other USB stick. Otherwise, the USB drives are probably too slow to run/incompatible with the OS you're trying to install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.