Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeremyscalpello

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2014
Hi. I have found a dmg which allows me to install the Yosemite Beta 1 onto my machine. I have a question though. If I do install the beta, would I be able to install the public beta or the official release without erasing my Mac?

Thanks

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Hi. I have found a dmg which allows me to install the Yosemite Beta 1 onto my machine. I have a question though. If I do install the beta, would I be able to install the public beta or the official release without erasing my Mac?

Thanks

Yosemite Beta 1 has not yet been released. Only the Developer Preview has which is considered pre beta. Additionally it is not recommended to install the copy that you found, read pirated, as you are not a developer.

jeremyscalpello

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2014
Yosemite Beta 1 has not yet been released. Only the Developer Preview has which is considered pre beta. Additionally it is not recommended to install the copy that you found, read pirated, as you are not a developer.

I am personally not a developer, though my brother is and he has offered to add my machine. He's just sent me the DMG. Sorry for my mis-use of words.

Still though, I do have a spare machine. Would I be able to install the final release of Yosemite with this "beta" installed without erasing my Mac?

Thanks.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX

Thanks

I can somehow tell already you're going to be in for a rough "beta testing".

I can just say, at least for me, the word beta and formatting(erasing) go hand in hand.

If you rely on your computer for ANYTHING and you do not have a spare, don't install until final release the ONLY thing you are missing out on is a "fresh coat of paint on a house filled with bugs".

and if you have a dmg file, you didn't get it from a dev or apple.:p

but to answer the question. Yes, you should be able to continue upgrading throughout the beta process to the GM build which IS the final build.

jeremyscalpello

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2014
I can somehow tell already you're going to be in for a rough "beta testing".

I can just say, at least for me, the word beta and formatting(erasing) go hand in hand.

If you rely on your computer for ANYTHING and you do not have a spare, don't install until final release.

Alright, thanks for the advice! Awesome forum BTW! :)

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I am personally not a developer, though my brother is and he has offered to add my machine. He's just sent me the DMG. Sorry for my mis-use of words.

Still though, I do have a spare machine. Would I be able to install the final release of this "beta" without erasing my Mac?

found a dmg which allows me to install the Yosemite Beta 1 onto my machine ≠ my brother is and he has offered to add my machine

All we can go on is what has happened in the past. Since Apple has never provided a public beta program before anything is possible.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
found a dmg which allows me to install the Yosemite Beta 1 onto my machine ≠ my brother is and he has offered to add my machine

All we can go on is what has happened in the past. Since Apple has never provided a public beta program before anything is possible. Make sure you have a backup is the best advise.

the final product is going to be free, the main difference is that dev will usually get certain builds first but each of the previous betas were able to update from the last beta build to final.

I would not see a reason that this would change, Apple has been pushing this constant update from one OS to another, they don't want the average Joe to have to format and start fresh.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I would not see a reason that this would change, Apple has been pushing this constant update from one OS to another, they don't want the average Joe to have to format and start fresh.

You are right but the betas, public beta included, are not aimed at the average Joe. It might be entirely possibly to perform an upgrade to the GM/Release version but there is nothing that we can offer as a fact in this forum that will guarantee that.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
You are right but the betas, public beta included, are not aimed at the average Joe. It might be entirely possibly to perform an upgrade to the GM/Release version but there is nothing that we can offer as a fact in this forum that will guarantee that.

Exactly, there is no guarantee other than the fact that Leopard, SL, L, ML and Mavericks all updated from last beta build to Final/GM build.
You are right.

So testers beware, you may have to format at any point, tis the life of a beta tester.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Exactly, there is no guarantee other than the fact that Leopard, SL, L, ML and Mavericks all updated from last beta build to Final/GM build.
You are right.

So testers beware, you may have to format at any point, tis the life of a beta tester.

I do feel that it's worth pointing out the situation with Mavericks. Those who updated from the final DP to the GM had a surprise when Apple released a newer build for the final version. Those who updated prematurely had to reinstall the newer version of Mavericks, as the older GM would not receive any updates. Not horrible, but certainly inconvenient.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
I do feel that it's worth pointing out the situation with Mavericks. Those who updated from the final DP to the GM had a surprise when Apple released a newer build for the final version. Those who updated prematurely had to reinstall the newer version of Mavericks, as the older GM would not receive any updates. Not horrible, but certainly inconvenient.

That is not correct. I remembered that theory that was talked about before about the 2 mavericks GMs, builds 13A598 and 13A603 and decided to test it.

I proved the theory wrong.

I kept 2 virtual machines of mavericks, 1 for each build till 10.9.1 was released publicly and successfully updated build 13A598 directly to 10.9.1. The 10.9.1 update also showed up in the build 13A598 mac app store.

So that theory was wrong.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
That is not correct. I remembered that theory that was talked about before about the 2 mavericks GMs, builds 13A598 and 13A603 and decided to test it.

I proved the theory wrong.

I kept 2 virtual machines of mavericks, 1 for each build till 10.9.1 was released publicly and successfully updated build 13A598 directly to 10.9.1. The 10.9.1 update also showed up in the build 13A598 mac app store.

So that theory was wrong.

Crap, wish I would have known that back in October! Thanks for the clarification, that's nice to know for the future.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Nobody knew it back in October.

Only when 10.9.1 was publicly released in December were we able to discover it.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland

Still though, I do have a spare machine. Would I be able to install the final release of Yosemite with this "beta" installed without erasing my Mac?

Thanks.

Partition your hard drive and install Yosemite on its own partition. Then you can boot into it to play / erase / update without screwing up your system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.