Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bododonnell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2016
hey

i am really hoping someone can help me with something, i recently bought a new matchbook pro retina.
it was to replace a macbook white a1181.
i tried to recover the older macbook to give it to my partner but messed it up and wiped the hard drive, now it will not boot, i got an ssd to fit into it and i have os x lion downloaded.

i have to install os x lion to the ssd but can only use the new macbook pro running os x el capitan.

is this possible and if so can somebody please help me.

thanks you in advance
brian

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you have downloaded the Lion installer app - Download the good DiskmakerX app. Get the version 3.0.4 from that download page, as the latest version 5 will not make an installer for Lion.
Run DiskmakerX, follow the steps to make an installer. Best choice for a destination is an 8GB USB flash drive.
Boot to the flash drive after creating the installer.
Install Lion. You may still need to format the SSD properly, and you can do that with Disk Utility (after booting to the installer.) The installer won't do the format automatically, but once Disk Utility has formatted the SSD, you can continue on with the OS X install.
It all takes a little time. You should be working with Lion in about an hour or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.