Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

batistuta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I have the option of buying a new (mid 2010) Mini without the osx discs, but I have SL family pack, so I can install on five Macs. These discs are about a year old - will the install work??
I am thinking the discs don't have the appropriate drivers (i.e. the 320m graphics).

Nov 28, 2010
located
Unfortunately no, as the version of Mac OS X on those disk is older than the OS version the Mac mini came with.
You either need to get replacement disk or the Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Upgrade DVD or simply clone a working 10.6.3/4/5 Mac to that Mac mini in Target Disk Mode and run Software Update afterwards when booted from the Mac mini.

davegoody

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Nottingham, England.
Sort of right, I think

Unfortunately no, as the version of Mac OS X on those disk is older than the OS version the Mac mini came with.
You either need to get replacement disk or the Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Upgrade DVD or simply clone a working 10.6.3/4/5 Mac to that Mac mini in Target Disk Mode and run Software Update afterwards when booted from the Mac mini.

I think that this is slightly misleading....... I don't think the POINT version is relevant. So long as the base OS is correct, i.e. in this case Snow Leopard, then on the first software update, any appropriate hardware updates will be performed. I have a 15" Unibody MacBook Pro, around 6 months old. I purchased it second hand, had SL on it, but put a 1TB internal HDD in it, so required a re-install. My Original Snow Leopard DVD (purchased on Launch day) installed the machine with no problems....... your mileage may vary, but as Apple with their OS's, unlike MS with Windows, do not have install codes, if it does not work (and I am sure it will), you will only have lost half an hour of your time !

Good luck, let me know how it goes.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I think that this is slightly misleading....... I don't think the POINT version is relevant.

Nope, you are wrong. The final point is critically important. Any machine that was first available after (for example) 10.6.3 needs the OS it came with (say 10.6.5) or later. There are no platform drivers for hardware that did not exist when the OS was released so it will not boot to install. This is why brand-new machines sometimes ship with special builds (different build numbers) of existing point releases of OSX. The platform drivers from that special version of OSX10.x.y are then added to y+1.

batistuta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
hm, quite contradicting replies!
Hoping for a few more replies to sway my decision.

I guess I could try with the older discs - worst case I have to go buy a new osx disc at 40$ (in Denmark that is).

davegoody

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Nottingham, England.
Worth the try !

I guess I could try with the older discs - worst case I have to go buy a new osx disc at 40$ (in Denmark that is).

As I said, your mileage may vary, it is just that, as I said, it worked perfectly for me, with an original SL DVD on a six-month old Unibody 15" MBP.

To be honest, if you already have the SL DVD then your time would probably be better spent trying it, than waiting to see who else comments one way or the other on MR. If it does not work for you, then at least you know for sure, and if I am wrong, then I stand corrected.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate

AppleCare will normally ship you a set of restore DVDs (OSX and all bundled software) for a nominal cost. $25 usually I think...

batistuta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
AppleCare will normally ship you a set of restore DVDs (OSX and all bundled software) for a nominal cost. $25 usually I think...
I guess that requires you to have paid for Applecare?
And at 25% the price of a Mac Mini I find it way too expensive, especially since two year warranty is guaranteed by law here in Denmark...

batistuta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
@daveg - I haven't bought the machine (2nd hand) yet, otherwise I had just tried with the old discs.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England

And at 25% the price of a Mac Mini I find it way too expensive
You're getting a 2010 Mac Mini for US$100? That's truly a steal!

EDIT: Random thought. Given that you have a family pack does that mean you have other Macs around? Can you hook up the Mini in Target Disk Mode, install OS X to it and perform all the upgrades before you first boot to it?

EDIT 2: As far as I know replacement discs are handled by Apple Care, but do not require you to currently be under warranty. See for example: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1038568 No way the G5 is still under warranty.

B

Last edited:

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I guess that requires you to have paid for Applecare?
And at 25% the price of a Mac Mini I find it way too expensive, especially since two year warranty is guaranteed by law here in Denmark...

Not necessarily. If it's a 2010 Mac it's still covered anyway as all new machines have 1 year of AppleCare...

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Not necessarily. If it's a 2010 Mac it's still covered anyway as all new machines have 1 year of AppleCare...

I think some of the confusion comes from the fact that Apple likes to call its customer service the same as its extended warranty program.

In this case you call customer service, in or out of warranty, and pay them a fee for replacement discs. The warranty status does not apply. Otherwise folks with old systems, like PPC based Macs, would have no recourse for system discs.

B

batistuta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I am not getting a Mini for 100$ - the 25% was refering to the cost of Apple Care on a new machine, which is around 230$ (the Mini being close to 1000$ here in Denmark).

I have a 2009 Mini with SL on, so I guess I could go for the target disk mode solution, when I have swapped the harddrive in the new Mini with a SSD.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I am not getting a Mini for 100$ - the 25% was refering to the cost of Apple Care on a new machine, which is around 230$ (the Mini being close to 1000$ here in Denmark).

I got that after the fact, but my confusion arose from the fact that to call customer service (AppleCare) for replacement disks you don't need to be under warranty (either complementary AppleCare or AppleCare Protection Plan). Being under warranty doesn't exempt you from the media replacement fees. (The warranty doesn't cover negligence, including misplacing the discs they told you to put away for safekeeping).

Let us know how the target disk mode install goes.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.