Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
Hi all,
In another thread i asked a lot of questions about how to install an unsupported version of MacOS onto my Mid-2010 MBP, and got a lot of amazing help. I want to install an unsupported version of MacOS onto my mac, but without the need for another mac, or more than 1 usb stick (i have one i can use for installation). I want to install Monterey, and if not too unstable, Ventura, for good app support. The only patcher which can do this is OCLP. A lot of people in the other thread advised me to follow the instructions on the OCLP website, which i think might be the best bet, but id like some help here too. I was suggested a method to install an unsupported OS without using another mac or a usb stick at all, by creating a small partition at the end of my SSD for the installation, but that was suggested to me when i was wanting to install Mojave with the DosDude patcher, so i dont know if that method would still work with OCLP and Monterey. That would be the ideal method of jnstallation for me, if it works with OCLP and Monterey.
Unfortunately, the software i use to fix the infamous GPU panic issue of my Mid2010 MBP is MBPMID2010GPU_Fix by Julian Poidevin, and it works great, but it only works on MacOS versions up to Mojave, and i want Monterey, so that is not good. However, i have come accross a very similar GPU fix called Mid-2010-MBP-GPU-Panic-Fix by Fabioiop, which DOES support versions of MacOS higher than Mojave, but only up to Catalina, but some users have reported it working fine on versions of MacOS even up to Ventura. So, it is a hit or miss/trial and error. I am not afraid to take my chances on thag because if it foesnt work then i just install the OS i have kn it now, High Sierra, again from its usb stick, and im fine again. I also want to back up the dmg files of my apps that are installed on my current OS, HS, onto a usb stick, so that after the installation of the new OS is done, assuming the GPU FIX works, i just move the dmg files back onto the laptop and install the apps on the new OS. That way, i save a lot of data and time redownloading the apps, this is important since i dont have a lot of wifi data. I hope that i use my half full usb stick for the dmg files backup, and use the other empty usb stick i have for the new OS installation, if the partition method wont work. That would be the ideal way.
Any help/advice/tips are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance, HawkTheHusky1902

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.