Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwillwall

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
I got a GTX 960 installed in my Mac Pro 2008 and it's working great with the Nvidia web drivers, but to my surprise their Windows installer doesn't let you install drivers without the card being installed. The issue is I have to swap the card with the original because this one is not flashed. Is there a way to do this without installing both at the same time? That doesn't seem to work because slot 1 doesn't seem to like being used for a GPU?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I got a GTX 960 installed in my Mac Pro 2008 and it's working great with the Nvidia web drivers, but to my surprise their Windows installer doesn't let you install drivers without the card being installed. The issue is I have to swap the card with the original because this one is not flashed. Is there a way to do this without installing both at the same time? That doesn't seem to work because slot 1 doesn't seem to like being used for a GPU?

Windows should automatically install the driver for you. At least the basic display driver that make your 960 can display something. You don’t need a flashed card to do that.

Reactions: bwillwall

bwillwall

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
Windows should automatically install the driver for you. At least the basic display driver that make your 960 can display something. You don’t need a flashed card to do that.
But the issue is when I start windows I get a black screen. Do I just let it run until windows update runs?

bwillwall

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
My bad, I realized that I thought I was starting in windows when I was booting to the wrong partition... So that's why I had a black screen.

Reactions: h9826790
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.