Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mahili

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2022
66DD47AF-1D78-4B14-8447-571A06FD7AA0.jpeg
Has anyone installed such CarPlay module into a car which doesn’t have OEM wired CarPlay built in?
I've just installed one in my Toyota RAV4 2014 radio model 510011. and it's working fine. Wired or wireless. Control from the steering wheel etc works. so I wonder if it'll always work like that.

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023
View attachment 2335904 Has anyone installed such CarPlay module into a car which doesn’t have OEM wired CarPlay built in?
I've just installed one in my Toyota RAV4 2014 radio model 510011. and it's working fine. Wired or wireless. Control from the steering wheel etc works. so I wonder if it'll always work like that.
Is that your photo?

I google 'Toyota RAV4 2014 carplay" and found these alternatives.

images

7176PS-yYTL.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Kenny99

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2018
ST. Louis, Mo.
Mahili, Me too. Is this the unit that you have? Amazon

AUTOabc Wireless Carplay/Android Auto Adapter for Toyota with Entune2.0 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Fits for Tundra/Highlander/RAV4/Tacoma/Camry/Corolla/Avalon/Prius/CH-R/Sienna​

Reviews are just OK, Screen Resolution, sound and phone are the bigest complaints.

Mahili

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2022
Is that your photo?

I google 'Toyota RAV4 2014 carplay" and found these alternatives.

images

7176PS-yYTL.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
Yes, I also considered changing the screen, but I saw a lot of people on Amazon saying that Android system has a lot of problems. So I didn’t change my screen unit and only add a CarPlay module, so that I can keep my original system. And if I stop CarPlay one day, I can switch back.
I also saw a Tesla screen, so if any of you have used a Tesla screen for Toyota , please share the reviews with us. Thank you!

Mahili

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2022
Mahili, Me too. Is this the unit that you have? Amazon

AUTOabc Wireless Carplay/Android Auto Adapter for Toyota with Entune2.0 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Fits for Tundra/Highlander/RAV4/Tacoma/Camry/Corolla/Avalon/Prius/CH-R/Sienna​

Reviews are just OK, Screen Resolution, sound and phone are the bigest complaints.
No, I just got a link from a friend of mine. He works in China, he said that in fact, most of the CarPlay modules and screens we see in the aftermarket are from the same factory, they change the brand, change the packaging, change the location, and then sell different prices. The real factory started their online shop in the past two years. I compared a lot of product images on Amazon and they were almost identical. So I didn't hesitate to buy from carputech. I just installed it and it's working fine. I hope it stays that good.
The product link:https://www.carputech.com/products/for-toyota-2014-2019-apple-carplay-android-auto-module
And I spent $169 with their XMAS coupon code CHRIS30. I am not sure if it is still valid, but you can have a try.
BTW, they also have Tesla style screens for other cars, but it’s overpriced for me. Maybe one day I will change my mind.

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023
Yes, I also considered changing the screen, but I saw a lot of people on Amazon saying that Android system has a lot of problems. So I didn’t change my screen unit and only add a CarPlay module, so that I can keep my original system. And if I stop CarPlay one day, I can switch back.
I also saw a Tesla screen, so if any of you have used a Tesla screen for Toyota , please share the reviews with us. Thank you!
Really wish a reputable brand would come out with a CarPlay head unit that takes design cues from the China brands.

Or Apple offering head unit parts of their own.

Something with a 11-inch or 17-inch multitouch screen?

murray1152

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2022
No, I just got a link from a friend of mine. He works in China, he said that in fact, most of the CarPlay modules and screens we see in the aftermarket are from the same factory, they change the brand, change the packaging, change the location, and then sell different prices. The real factory started their online shop in the past two years. I compared a lot of product images on Amazon and they were almost identical. So I didn't hesitate to buy from carputech. I just installed it and it's working fine. I hope it stays that good.
The product link:https://www.carputech.com/products/for-toyota-2014-2019-apple-carplay-android-auto-module
And I spent $169 with their XMAS coupon code CHRIS30. I am not sure if it is still valid, but you can have a try.
BTW, they also have Tesla style screens for other cars, but it’s overpriced for me. Maybe one day I will change my mind.
Yes, I saw that carlinkit also sells carplay modules. And it seems that the product is the same, but the price of carlinkit will be higher.
In my opinion, carlinkit has a good reputation. I always thought they would be the source supplier, but if you study carefully you will find many similar products, so you can't be sure who is the real supplier. But I don’t think it’s important. I don’t really care about price. As long as their products are of good quality and their after-sales service is good, I’m willing to recognize them regardless of whether they are real suppliers or not. Having said that, real factories should not have so much energy for after-sales service. They need to do R&D and production. It is difficult to find a business that integrates R&D, production, sales, and after-sales. So the online stores we usually see are dealers.

Mahili

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2022
Really wish a reputable brand would come out with a CarPlay head unit that takes design cues from the China brands.

If Apple were to develop this product, it would be more expensive. I asked carputech what the price would be if I put a Tesla-style screen on my RAV4, and they said around $800 with a two-year warranty. This is the lowest price I have seen so far. If you search for this item from other brands, you will find that it is about $1000-$1800. But their pictures and products are almost identical! This is crazy.
All I've seen so far are 11-inch and 13.6-inch, not 17-inch yet.

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020

There are reputable manufacturers of decks that implement carplay.

Very few (if any?) modern cars use the old DIN style standard mounting. So each design or adapting dash mount would need to be specific to a particular car model.

Don't hold your breath.

Reactions: aj_niner

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023
If Apple were to develop this product, it would be more expensive. I asked carputech what the price would be if I put a Tesla-style screen on my RAV4, and they said around $800 with a two-year warranty. This is the lowest price I have seen so far. If you search for this item from other brands, you will find that it is about $1000-$1800. But their pictures and products are almost identical! This is crazy.
All I've seen so far are 11-inch and 13.6-inch, not 17-inch yet.
A reason why I'd want Apple to develop this so it wouldn't glitch as often and software would have a higher QC.

You do have a point... more expensive.

Alternatively wish iPads could be installed onto a car's dashboard more easily than a 3rd party mount.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.