Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsantiago77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2022
I'm currently running a Mid 2012 Mac Pro with;
-2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon's
-128 GB of 1333 MHz DDR3
-An NVIDIA Quadro K5000 4 GB video card

I installed MacOS Big Sur version 11.7.2 today (I upgraded from Catalina). The reason I did this was because my other apps in Adobe could not be upgraded anymore while running any lesser OS. Everything seems to be running fine except for an issue I'm having in Premiere Pro 2023. If I go into my project settings/renderer, while my playhead is over a clip, if I have Mercury Playback Engine Software Only enabled, then I can see the footage in my program monitor.

However...

If I switch it over to Mercury Playback Engine GPU Accleration (Metal) - Then the picture in the program monitor turns green.

My question is, is this a gpu issue? Would installing another gpu fix this problem? If so what would be the best gpu that can work with Big Sur?

Any information or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-19 at 6.50.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-19 at 6.50.01 PM.png
    406.2 KB · Views: 201

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
-128 GB of 1333 MHz DDR3

I installed MacOS Big Sur version 11.7.2 today (I upgraded from Catalina). The reason I did this was because my other apps in Adobe could not be upgraded anymore while running any lesser OS. Everything seems to be running fine except for an issue I'm having in Premiere Pro 2023. If I go into my project settings/renderer, while my playhead is over a clip, if I have Mercury Playback Engine Software Only enabled, then I can see the footage in my program monitor.

However...

If I switch it over to Mercury Playback Engine GPU Accleration (Metal) - Then the picture in the program monitor turns green.

My question is, is this a gpu issue? Would installing another gpu fix this problem? If so what would be the best gpu that can work with Big Sur?

I believe that's hardware compatibility issue.

For plug and play, Radeon VII should be the best.

If you don't mind to flash the card, then you can install up to 6900XT (if you can fit the card into the cMP) with 11.7.2.

N.B. Radeon VII actually can work natively in 10.14.6. Therefore, in case of emergency, you can simply boot the cMP to 10.14.6 and then start your recovery actions to fix / re-install Big Sur. But anything GPU beyond Radeon VII need at least Catalina. Therefore, the recovery actions may be more complicated. Of course, as long as you keep the K5000, you can always swap it back in to boot older OS.

jsantiago77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2022
I believe that's hardware compatibility issue.

For plug and play, Radeon VII should be the best.

If you don't mind to flash the card, then you can install up to 6900XT (if you can fit the card into the cMP) with 11.7.2.

N.B. Radeon VII actually can work natively in 10.14.6. Therefore, in case of emergency, you can simply boot the cMP to 10.14.6 and then start your recovery actions to fix / re-install Big Sur. But anything GPU beyond Radeon VII need at least Catalina. Therefore, the recovery actions may be more complicated. Of course, as long as you keep the K5000, you can always swap it back in to boot older OS.
Thank you for that information. I did some research and it looks like I would need to mod the power supply for the 6900xt. I wanted to know your thoughts on the Radeon RX 580. Aside from some cables I would need to purchase, this looks like a true plug and play before I have to start modifying the power supply. Do you think this will work in Big Sur and solve my issue in premiere?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thank you for that information. I did some research and it looks like I would need to mod the power supply for the 6900xt. I wanted to know your thoughts on the Radeon RX 580. Aside from some cables I would need to purchase, this looks like a true plug and play before I have to start modifying the power supply. Do you think this will work in Big Sur and solve my issue in premiere?
It should

miketombeur

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2014
-128 GB of 1333 MHz DDR3

However...

Hi, I'm also having the same issue with patched sur on imac 2013... green screen in premiere... did you find a software workaround ?

jsantiago77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2022
Hi, I'm also having the same issue with patched sur on imac 2013... green screen in premiere... did you find a software workaround ?
I ended up buying a Radeon RX 580 8 GB video card. Then in premiere there is an option to let your software do the rendering instead of the graphics card. I was trying to find where that option was but I can't find it now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.