Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmhart83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2020
It took me all night but I upgraded my old MacBookPro8,2 to Catalina using the dosdude1 patcher. I am noticing a variety of issues and wondering if anyone can help.

* When I go to settings > track pad to change the "natural scroll" it says there are no track pads installed
+ EDIT: was able to achieve my goal of changing the scroll behavior using "defaults write -g com.apple.swipescrolldirection -bool NO" but still can't see the settings (not important anymore)

* I can't connect to my wi-fi unless I unhide the SSID (in which case it works)

* Even if I change power settings to not turn off after 3 hours my screen goes to sleep after 15 minutes.

* When I try to put the battery icon in the top menu bar, it will show up for a second then go away. The settings is saying my battery is at 0% and I have had it plugged in for over a day.

* I am working through disabling the AMD graphics card now, it seems OK performance wise but a lot slower than High Sierra was. Found a little improvement with turning on "Reduced Motion" and "Reduced transparency" in accessibility > display settings.

* While beginning to turn off the AMD GPU, I entered "single user mode" and type in "nvram fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%01%00%00%00" then rebooted. When I got into OSX it was a lot smoother and seemed normal. Not sure what this command does but I didn't proceed to turn off the GPU because it seemed to work? Then after several hours of installing dev software the computer got super super slow again. It seemed like a memory leak or something. Rebooting seems to restore a somewhat improvement in smoothness? Maybe I should still turn off the GPU and see if that fixes the perceived memory leaking issues.

* Noteworthy but solved, I couldn't run Google Chrome at first and had to run some sudo commands to fix the .app.

I only wanted to upgrade this to use the latest Xcode ... I don't care too much about gaming or anything on this computer. I might run into more issues. But if anyone has ideas on the bullets listed above I would be very thankful!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.