Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

takao

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
http://www.n-tv.de/840771.html
link in german

after a little more than 6 months the wii has overtaken the xbox 360 and is now the new number one

total installed hardware:

Wii:

Xbox 360:

Ps3

(additional reference points since the german market is heavily PC gaming focused:gamecube sold around 700.000, xbox around 550.000-600.000 and ps2 around 3 millions)

july monthly sales:
wii: 26.000
360: 5.000
ps3 8.000

recent numbers of 360 and ps3 in direct competition (no further numbers of wii sadly)
june:
360: 5000
ps3: 8000
may:
360: 8000
ps3: 13.000

for august the guys from sony expect an upwards movement and the microsoft guys are "more optimistic about the next months"

my point:
at the last release of the numbers in april/may it did look like the wii would need untill oktober/november but the strikers/mario party 8 releases might have been responsible to push the wii more than it did earlier

and that with all those delayed games for being in europe (paper mario) and a quite solid 360 line up...

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
However, as This suggests, it may be on top, but how long before it burns itself out? In all honesty, I see the Wii controller scheme becoming an option in later generations, with software designed to be useable with both, but I can't imagine it catching on as the primary way to play

SpankyPenzaanz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
Maybe its me but why should I care about who is winning? Even if I owned stock in these companies (which I am not stupid enough to have), the bottom line boost I would see in my 1040 is almost irrelevant unless I was a suit there. I never have understood why I someone here in Atlanta, or someone in UK or some one in Japan cared about installed base of a console in another part of the world. Hell I don't care about it here in the states. I have what I want so far. The games I want are finally coming out. And in this glorious consumerist market it should not be hard to get any of the choices. When the PS3 has a lineup I want(not eggresiously overlapped by choices from 360, nor do I care about FF or MGS), I will drop the cash for one and i will.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
However, as This suggests, it may be on top, but how long before it burns itself out? In all honesty, I see the Wii controller scheme becoming an option in later generations, with software designed to be useable with both, but I can't imagine it catching on as the primary way to play

Gee, GamePro throwing up a negative sounding article about a console that is killing the PS3 right now. Surprise, surprise.:rolleyes: You can already buy a "classic" controller for the Wii and it will work with many (most?) of the games or you can use the GC controller. I don't see the Wii remote and nunchuck moving over to second fiddle because that's the whole point of the Wii. That's like saying Sony and MS are going to release SD-only versions of the PS3 and 360.

From the end of the GamePro article, "How long can the Wii keep winning, then? The short answer: as long as Nintendo stays on top of its current game (regardless if you like their offering or not) and Microsoft or Sony don't start selling a comparable substitute."

Lethal

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Good.

I've never had so much fun with a gaming system before, I'm glad it's on top.

SpankyPenzaanz said:
I never have understood why I someone here in Atlanta, or someone in UK or some one in Japan cared about installed base of a console in another part of the world.

Simple - IMO Germany make (or used to?) very good games. If said country has a huge system install base, then the devs and producers will look towards that system. That's why I care how well a system does with numbers.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
The GamePro article is entirely conjecture; the analyst they quote about the HD Wii has no more authority than me, and heck, I actually probably have more inside knowledge than him, so I'd consider myself a better authority.

Of course, I'm not saying dismiss it. Whether the Wii turns into a fad or a phenomenon depends entirely on support. Nintendo's got a lot of promises. Can they deliver?

Let's be honest here; a lot of the things people on this board care about, casual gamers don't. Casual gamers don't care if the online service is as good as XBox Live, they just care if it plays online or not (they have little to compare it to; the casual gamers who HAVE used Live probably don't notice the more advanced features or use the leaderboards and stuff like that).

What's really important is that Nintendo gets more titles out there (delivering on what they've announced), gets more third party support, and gets an online network out there that is playable (not necessarily as good as competitors, just useable with ease, a la the DS). That will keep the Wii from dropping off as a fad.

The Wii is definitely going to be the hot item this Christmas though. Along with Halo 3.

Hm, we've got a thread talking about whether or not the Wii will be a fad...

Where's Ed? This thread needs more Ed.

Maybe its me but why should I care about who is winning?

The winner determines the exclusives. The GameCube was losing, thus the GameCube got very poor third party exclusives- nobody wanted to make games for the system that was guaranteed to sell the least copies.

Whoever is winning will get the most games. Thus, the Wii winning means Wii owners will get more titles (and it's region specific; Japanese dominance means better Square Enix support, French domination means more Ubisoft, etc).

Thus, Wii owners SHOULD care about sales.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I couldn't care less about what an article says, all I know is that when grown adults with children get excited about Wii's being in stock and wanting to buy more controllers to play with their kids or for parties you know a company has struck absolute gold. The Wii isn't going anywhere this generation because Nintendo has succeeded in doing what they set out to do, getting the entire family involved. Brilliant of them.

takao

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
it's too bad that the console market is too small to actually make an impact around here despite an overall indsutry increase of 20% last year

it's funny how developers don't come along with lots of strategy games of all sorts (which are as popular as shooters on the pc) to get more consoles out there
compared to the UK the numbers are still ridiculously small

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Maybe its me but why should I care about who is winning? Even if I owned stock in these companies (which I am not stupid enough to have), the bottom line boost I would see in my 1040 is almost irrelevant unless I was a suit there. I never have understood why I someone here in Atlanta, or someone in UK or some one in Japan cared about installed base of a console in another part of the world. Hell I don't care about it here in the states. I have what I want so far. The games I want are finally coming out. And in this glorious consumerist market it should not be hard to get any of the choices. When the PS3 has a lineup I want(not eggresiously overlapped by choices from 360, nor do I care about FF or MGS), I will drop the cash for one and i will.
Why should you care? Big install base means more 3rd party devs, which means more games. As an owner of only one next gen system(currently)....that means alot to me.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
My response:

oh20snap.jpg

:cool:

AppleGuy2

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2007

an even better question, how long before all of the xbox360s literally burn out? haha. but in all seriousness, numbers are numbers...consoles are consoles. Think about it, within a few years, our wiis and 360s will be our backup only play once a year consoles and well all be playing whatever is new!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.