Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheVaultGhost

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2023
My SSD got busted and I got a replacement. Now that I've replaced the SSD, I've been struggling with the OS for my MCB Pro 2015. The standard on installation in recovery is Monterey.

Everytime i install and about to finish, it reboots and then says "About 29 minutes remaining"

What should I do to make this work?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Wait 29 minutes for it to complete. (Know that the time estimate is not really accurate. It could be 15 minutes or it could be 115 minutes. But you must wait for it to finish.)

Reactions: TheVaultGhost

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I still have the original factory-installed SSD in my 2015 MBP.

But I recall reading (right here in this forum) that there can be problems with installing more recent versions of the OS onto 3rd party SSDs in the 2015 MBP.

Reason why:
There's a firmware update involved as a part of the upgrade process, and in some cases it WILL NOT INSTALL onto some 3rd party drives.

The only way to work around this is to install the FACTORY ORIGINAL SSD back into place, then do the OS upgrade. This gets the firmware upgraded.

After doing that, NOW you can install the 3rd-party SSD and the OS upgrade should go through...

Again... this is only what I recall reading.
Others, please jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Isn't there a "sticky" thread in the MacBook Pro forum that discusses 3rd party drive upgrades on various retina Macs?

Reactions: TheVaultGhost
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.