Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BarbequeuedMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2023
Installed OCLP 1.2.1 on my Mac, but now it's stuck in a boot loop. Tried resetting PRAM and creating a new Open Core build on a USB, but no luck. Don't want to use internet recovery and can't make a macOS installer due to limited USB space. Need help without wiping the system. Any ideas?

Upon intstalling and rebooting to oclp 1.2.1, I let it update, reset and reboot as usual and subsequently left it for the night. Upon waking up my Mac was stuck on the loading bar at the half way mark, which is usually normal as it trickles through for the first minute and then speeds up to the end within 10 seconds of booting to Mac OS.

But here it stays hung at that point for the entire day, which I left it as I thought it might sort itself out. It didnt and the fans were at a 50% pace. So I turned it off and on assuming it was a temporary boot issue. It was something worse, im guessing here that the oclp EFI has corrupted so the Mac fails to boot completely at any point.

Even though I know the Mac is able to boot into Mac OS without the patches with some severe graphic and wifi issues (accidentally installed Sonoma before oclp 1.0.0). But after the restart it still lead to the same thing but from this point on, there was no boot chime.

So I reset the PRAM accordingly, which brought back but lead me to the 🚫 symbol and booted me back to the hung Mac OS. Pressing option upon booting lead me to the efi and my SSD as “separate volumes”.

The efi just resent me back to the hung boot screen while the ssd sent me to the 🚫 symbol and then back to the hung boot screen. Trying to enable recovery failed as well due to that broken efi, so it showed a 🚫 symbol and enabled internet recovery. Which I do not want as that will wipe the system.

So I got a spare M2 MBA and I got OCLP on a Sandisk “16GB” boot drive, created an open core build for the USB and tried to option-boot into it. But that lead to the frustrating “something went wrong upon booting, wait a few seconds or press a key to boot anyway” which resent me back to the hung boot screen.

I was going to make a Mac OS installer but apparently my “16GB” USB can’t fit a 12gb Sonoma install as it needs 68.35mb of extra space and this was from OCLP 1.2.1 so until I get a 32GB usb or wait for a solar particle to correct this boot loop, im currently stuck.

Apologies for the long rant but I hope you can see my logic and the options ive taken to prevent any confusion.

Any help?

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
Installed OCLP 1.2.1 on my Mac, but now it's stuck in a boot loop. Tried resetting PRAM and creating a new Open Core build on a USB, but no luck. Don't want to use internet recovery and can't make a macOS installer due to limited USB space. Need help without wiping the system. Any ideas?

Upon intstalling and rebooting to oclp 1.2.1, I let it update, reset and reboot as usual and subsequently left it for the night. Upon waking up my Mac was stuck on the loading bar at the half way mark, which is usually normal as it trickles through for the first minute and then speeds up to the end within 10 seconds of booting to Mac OS.

But here it stays hung at that point for the entire day, which I left it as I thought it might sort itself out. It didnt and the fans were at a 50% pace. So I turned it off and on assuming it was a temporary boot issue. It was something worse, im guessing here that the oclp EFI has corrupted so the Mac fails to boot completely at any point.

Even though I know the Mac is able to boot into Mac OS without the patches with some severe graphic and wifi issues (accidentally installed Sonoma before oclp 1.0.0). But after the restart it still lead to the same thing but from this point on, there was no boot chime.

So I reset the PRAM accordingly, which brought back but lead me to the 🚫 symbol and booted me back to the hung Mac OS. Pressing option upon booting lead me to the efi and my SSD as “separate volumes”.

The efi just resent me back to the hung boot screen while the ssd sent me to the 🚫 symbol and then back to the hung boot screen. Trying to enable recovery failed as well due to that broken efi, so it showed a 🚫 symbol and enabled internet recovery. Which I do not want as that will wipe the system.

So I got a spare M2 MBA and I got OCLP on a Sandisk “16GB” boot drive, created an open core build for the USB and tried to option-boot into it. But that lead to the frustrating “something went wrong upon booting, wait a few seconds or press a key to boot anywaMOTU audio interfaces which resent me back to the hung boot screen.

I was going to make a Mac OS installer but apparently my “16GB” USB can’t fit a 12gb Sonoma install as it needs 68.35mb of extra space and this was from OCLP 1.2.1 so until I get a 32GB usb or wait for a solar particle to correct this boot loop, im currently stuck.

Apologies for the long rant but I hope you can see my logic and the options ive taken to prevent any confusion.

Any help?
This is already being discussed here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-14-sonoma-on-unsupported-macs-thread.2391630/page-141 and142 Cite your Mac and macOS version??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.