Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

naktak

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
Am I missing something or is the editable version of iCal missing from the updated Installer? Can anyone else confirm this for me?

polsen

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2006
Aarhus, Denmark
Yea I have the same problem. Is there a fix anyone knows about?

I ended up following the instructions at http://www.tuaw.com/2007/10/11/hack-enable-adding-calendar-events-on-your-ipod-touch/

The way I did it was
  1. Downloaded the plist file from the iPod touch.
  2. Double-clicked the plist file, thereby editing it in Property List Editor.
  3. Expanded the Root node.
  4. Expanded the capabilities node.
  5. Selected the piezo-clicker node
  6. Pressed the 'New Sibling' button.
  7. Named the new sibling 'editableUserData', select the Boolean class and set the value to Yes.
  8. Saved the plist file.
  9. Uploaded the plist file to the iPod touch, replacing the existing file.
  10. Powered off the touch, then powered it on again.

I am now able to create and edit entries in the Calendar.

Best regards - Peder.

pistma

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2007
All right... here's the stupid newbie question, and the one I've been trying to find a clear answer to for the past couple of hours... how do I do download the plist file from the iPod?

twinsdad

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2007
All right... here's the stupid newbie question, and the one I've been trying to find a clear answer to for the past couple of hours... how do I do download the plist file from the iPod?

I must admit I have the same question. I have tried to connect to my touch using the username root password alpine and entering the ip address that shows up on the touch but I just get a connection refused message using transmit. I can connect to other ftp servers like ftp.apple.com so I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. Are there any mac people who can give me a detailed rundown on how to connect to the touch? I have installed something on the touch called open ssh but I am not sure what it does (and there is no app icon either).

Thanks

twinsdad

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2007
Ok well I figured it out finally. If you are a newbie and on a mac you might try this.
Download FTP app called transmit
Download the mobilecal app for iphone (the link is somewhere around here)
Make sure you have open ssh installed on your touch
Open Transmit and start a connection via SFTP (FTP did not work for me)
put in the ip address found on your touch in the network settings, then use root as the username and alpine as the password
this should connect you to the itouch (it takes a little while, at least for me)
You will open in root but you want to change directory to the / directory
Open applications and drag the iphone mobilecal into applications. You will be asked if you want to replace current file and click yes.

Done deal. I now can edit and add events and they sync back to ical. This process, once you have downloaded the necessary ftp app and iphone app will take you 2 or 3 minutes tops.

Also, keep in mind that while this worked for me, I am a novice so your mileage may vary.

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
You replaced the entire folder mobilecal - correct?

I am looking at the folder of Mobilecal in my Touch. If I use Get Info, it shows that permissions are set at 775, all the other apps are set at 755. If I just change this will it work, or will I really screw it up?

twinsdad

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2007
You replaced the entire folder mobilecal - correct?

I am looking at the folder of Mobilecal in my Touch. If I use Get Info, it shows that permissions are set at 775, all the other apps are set at 755. If I just change this will it work, or will I really screw it up?

I replaced the entire folder but forgot to change permissions. It worked just fine anyway. I did go back in later and select every file in the folder and set permissions at 755. I imagine the permissions thing would have caused me trouble eventually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.