Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
I want to compile a list of the currently available community sources applications found within Installer.app so that everyone downloading them has an idea for their functionality.

I myself do not know what many of the new 3rd party applications do so hopefully we can get a few people together to get a complete description list. If you know what these applications do, list them below and I will update the OP for everyone. Sorry, I dont have time right now to list the ones I know.

Here is the current application list so far:

Development
-Perl:

-Python:Python interpreter including supporting libraries

-Ruby: Ruby interpreter including supporting libraries.

Games
-Aquarium:Feed a fish with bubbles

-Frotz:Frotz is a Z-Machine emulator for the iPhone. Play all your favorite infocom games and more. Landscape mode is now supported as of 0.4. Place the Z-Code in /var/root/Media/Frotz/Games/

-iPhoneDoom:A native port of doom to the iPhone without support for controls or audio.

-TicTacToe:TicTacToe for the iPhone

-Zune2:Shoot Zunes with an iPhone.

Multimedia
-SendSong: Play, Email, or add a ringtone from any of the songs in your library

Network
-Apache:

-BitchX: Command line IRC client

-DNS Tools:

-ncftp:

-Tinyproxy:

Productivity
-Books:A native eBook reader for the iPhone. Capable of reading HTML and plain text stored on your iPhone. New as of version 0.6! * Single-tap scrolling! Tap at the bottom of the screen to scroll down one page, tap at the top to scroll up. * Inverted text mode! Great for night reading. Thanks to Chris Born for implementing this. * Several shiny new buttons designed by Chris Born! Place your EBooks in /var/root/Media/EBooks/

-MobileMoney:MobileMoney allows you to manage your financial accounts on your iPhone.

-Squid:File manager with an attributes viewer, and a permissions editor. 0.2.2 implemented the ability to rename files.

Ringtones
-NR Ringtone Pack:

System
-BSD Subsystem:

-Mobile Terminal:A terminal emulator application for the iPhone. MobileTerminal.app is NOT an SSH client, nor Telnet for that matter. It can however be used to execute a console ssh-client application. This version is a branch of the main Mobile Terminal trunk with experimental VT100 support. This version supports gestures and has color support. A pie menu has been added to aid with the gesture support.

-Open SSH:

-Term-vt100:

Tweaks
-SBKb:

Utilities
-Erica Utilities:Utilities created by Erica Sadun. These utilities include: cal, copy2vmail, ctime, doAlert, oldvrecord, playaudio, recaudio, sendFileByMail, snap, snap2album, sqlite3, and toJPEG. These utilities are installed in /usr/local/bin

-MobileFinder:MobileFinder (strictly "Finder" in the iPhone's springboard view) is a filesystem navigator and launcher. MobileFinder is part of a larger collection of tools in the MobileStudio (see http://mobilestudio.googlecode.com)

-MobilePreview:A mobile version of the Mac Preview utility for the iPhone. Mobile Preview is part of the Mobile Studio suite. The goal of Mobile Preview is to add the ability to easily view Images, PDFs and more to the iPhone and integrate that functionality with Mobile Finder. Currently Mobile Preview will open an image supplied from the command line. MobileFinder is required for "Open" functionality. http://code.google.com/p/mobilefinder/

-MobileTextEdit:A text editor for the iPhone. Part of the Mobile Studio suite http://code.google.com/p/mobilestudio/. Based off of Erica Sadun's editor. Currently MobileTextEdit opens a file supplied from the command line and will also save to the same file. MobileFinder is required for open functionality. http://code.google.com/p/mobilefinder/

-Tapp:Single tap command line execution. Place directives in /var/root/.tapp, or optionally edit them directly from the interface

jasonnorm

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2007
Milford, MA
Are there plans to add any additional sources beyond the 3 currently available: "Nullriver Software", "Ste Packaging" and "Conceited Software"?

Does anyone know which source contributes which package? That would be nice info to have in Installer.app in case one of the sites gets identified as contributing malware.

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Does anyone know if it's possible to add ringtones to my iPhone and then get rid of the Installer.app?
I'd like to be able to keep the ringtones, but not have to have the Installer icon on my home screen forever.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Does anyone know if it's possible to add ringtones to my iPhone and then get rid of the Installer.app?
I'd like to be able to keep the ringtones, but not have to have the Installer icon on my home screen forever.

You can hide Installer.app by putting it in the "special" section of your DisplayOrder.plist

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.