Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netwho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
Guys,

I'm useing a OOB 1.1.2 iPhone with turbosim. Worked perfectly for weeks. Know I get an annoying error when I'm trying to install/remove apps:

Package download failed: can't find host!

I'm useing Installer 3.0 and manually added the new Ste Packaging as sugguested in an other threat.

I'm sure I'm not the only one and hope someone figured how to fix.

Sorry if this is dupplicated, I searched, but couldn't find a working solution....

Any tip is appreciated, netwho

netwho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
Guys,

I'm useing a OOB 1.1.2 iPhone with turbosim. Worked perfectly for weeks. Know I get an annoying error when I'm trying to install/remove apps:

Package download failed: can't find host!

I'm useing Installer 3.0 and manually added the new Ste Packaging as sugguested in an other threat.

I'm sure I'm not the only one and hope someone figured how to fix.

Sorry if this is dupplicated, I searched, but couldn't find a working solution....

Any tip is appreciated, netwho

Found a hint on ipodtouchfans.com.
Changing the permission made it (the error message from installer.app din't help a lot...)

chmod 755 /Application/Installer.app/Installer

made it.

Cheers, netwho

cschwab18

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
Found a hint on ipodtouchfans.com.
Changing the permission made it (the error message from installer.app din't help a lot...)

chmod 755 /Application/Installer.app/Installer

made it.

Cheers, netwho

I'm getting the same error. I have an OOB 1.1.2 upgraded using iBrikr and
http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=604 to 1.1.3. I no longer have the SSH button (not sure where that went)...can anybody help out someone feeling stupid?

boobear

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
And believe me, by reseting your phones a million times or playing around with queing/unqueing installs, it won't...

Ste (admin of Istaller app) has moved the repository from one site to another. So, you're getting the package download failure notices because most of the files simply AREN'T THERE anymore.

The only thing to do is to change the URL of "Ste Packaging" to http://repo.smxy.org/iphone-apps/ in the Sources section of Installer app.
Or (preferred) simply install Community Sources (can be found in Sources among the installs) it does the same automatically.

If you've installed Community Sources or changed the URL manually, you'll be able to get those installs

just go to the list of installs and click community, this drove me mad for ages then the answer really was that simple, now i'm installing with no problems

cschwab18

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
It won't let me install community sources, I get the same error. I don't have an option for changing the URL of Ste Packaging in the sources...how do I do that?

boobear

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
have you updated through installer recently? if not go to installer and "click" updates

germen

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
Delete & Add source in installer

It won't let me install community sources, I get the same error. I don't have an option for changing the URL of Ste Packaging in the sources...how do I do that?

Go to "Sources" in Installer.app.

Then tap the "Edit" button. Click on the "-" icon over "Ste Packaging" source line in order to delete it.

Tap the "Add" button and type the right new URL for STE Packaging source:

http://repo.smxy.org/iphone-apps/

Enjoy and be happy installing lotsa applications to your (awesome) iPhone.

PS: I highly recommend to install both "Community Sources" and "BossTool" (in "Utilities" category) and run the "Free Disk Space" inside BossTool in order to relocate Fonts, Ringtones and Applications to the main disk partition and be able to install a lot of applications without space lack problems. Note: do it in the recommended order first Fonts, then Ringtones and Applications at last.

Be cool guys!

wuwu

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008

Then tap the "Edit" button. Click on the "-" icon over "Ste Packaging" source line in order to delete it.

PS: I highly recommend to install both "Community Sources" and "BossTool" (in "Utilities" category) and run the "Free Disk Space" inside BossTool in order to relocate Fonts, Ringtones and Applications to the main disk partition and be able to install a lot of applications without space lack problems. Note: do it in the recommended order first Fonts, then Ringtones and Applications at last.

Be cool guys!
did these but had this error ''refresh failed; could not refresh sources! '' and i have lost ste packaging. Anyway out

EdRoche

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008

Be cool guys!

Same here, after deleting the "Ste Packaging" Source and picking add I have the above URL but under a heading of 'uncategorised'. We cant download community resources due to same error - Package download failed: can't find host! All the Ste Packaging apps have gone also. Any ideas?

Jinkenz

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
Update Fail error.

the URL is case sensitive. iPhone auto corrects iphone to iPhone. The URL should be all lower case.

EdRoche

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
the URL is case sensitive. iPhone auto corrects iphone to iPhone. The URL should be all lower case.

Thanks pal,

for the thread-

Going to the “Sources” page in Installer.app and deleting the current entry for “Ste Packaging”.
Add the new repo URL of: http://repo.smxy.org/iphone-apps/ (Make sure you include that final slash! Also make sure that your iPhone doesn’t capitalize the “p” in “iphone”. Going to that URL with your browser won’t work BTW - you’ll just get redirected to this blog site.)
You will know you have the new repo, as the tagline for it is “New, and Improved!”
You may need to manually refresh it once, after Installer.app adds the repo and does it’s own refresh. The site will show up as “Uncategorized” (at least, it does for me), but that’s ok.

When Nullriver updates the “Community Sources” package, and you update to it, I don’t know if it will just move my repo to the “Community Sources” category, or if you will wind up with it listed twice. If it does get listed twice, and one is in the “Uncategorized” category, then just delete that one. If you wind up with two of them in the “Community Sources” category, then just pick one and delete it.

Jinkenz

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
I think shutdown and restart of the phone will/should clear up the double/wrong listing of the resources. It do for me.

Rudenik

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2008
still seeing the same issue

hey I've tried updating the URL (checked uppercase and that the slash is at the end/) and i still get can't refresh sources and still seeing the package download failed: can't find host! error.

I've heard that the guy who develops the Installer.app has started working with apple and has abandoned this project.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
better late than never. to fix this..do

chmod u+s Installer.app/Installer

assuming you are in the Applications/ dir already.

kevinwiz

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2007
socal

Be cool guys!

i did all this and it still gives me "error: package download failed" when i go to update my apps or install new apps or even uninstall apps.

netwho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
As mentioned previosely - check/change the permission of the installer.app (ssh/terminal).

Worked for me, netwho

chris N

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2008
As mentioned previosely - check/change the permission of the installer.app (ssh/terminal).

Worked for me, netwho

Umm, where do I change this? ssh /terminal thing? Sorry, I'm really at a lost. Someone please help? :(

multicam

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2008
it's also happen to me many times, all i do is restart my iphone, and unplugged my router then plug again or reset router, et voila ,ready to download and install again

shlowy1125

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2008
I Fixed It!

OK, just re-jailbreak your iphone/touch (using ZiPhone) and before doing anything else, download community sources from all apps in installer...

all fixed!

Filmdirector

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2008
Help Please Can see package but wont open

I'm so frustrated with this i phone. I have followed the directions, but I keep getting this stupid "package download failed! I went to source and did what the instructions told me. I can see the new STE packaging New and Improved from the url I was told to type, but its still not working. I have reset my phone and refresh the source, it continues to give me a message. And the worse part of it all I have a new update on the installer called Open Shh version 4.6p1-1 but can't open that up. If anyone could please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Help me.

CurtisPrometric

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2008
I cure for me. Maybe you too.

I'm so frustrated with this i phone. I have followed the directions, but I keep getting this stupid "package download failed! I went to source and did what the instructions told me. I can see the new STE packaging New and Improved from the url I was told to type, but its still not working. I have reset my phone and refresh the source, it continues to give me a message. And the worse part of it all I have a new update on the installer called Open Shh version 4.6p1-1 but can't open that up. If anyone could please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Help me.

:)
I was just as frustrated. Then I tried using Ziphone while itunes was running. Download Ziphone, then Start Ziphone ( Click where is says "Click here to show Advanced Features", there you will see a button that says "Fix NVRAM". Click on this. 2-3 minutues later the ipod touch/phone is working properly with installer.
I did this on an 8 gig ipod touch with jailbroken 1.1.4. I didn't loose any data or anything. Time will tell if this is a permenant cure. Cheers
Curtis Legroulx

CyanAether

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2008
Sweet!

I was having the same problem (more or less), I was getting "package download failed" with no reason. It would happen on every download. I tried retyping the source URL, no luck, so I did "check NVRAM" with the ZiPhone and that worked perfectly.

Thanks Curis. :D You rule!
P.S. I am very impressed with the functionality of Installer and jailbreaking and all that..... I remember the days when I was hacking my PSP, and that was NOT pretty. I nearly bricked it a few times I'm sure. ;)

Filmdirector

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2008
Nvda

hey thanks for your response but I'm using ziphone on mac and I go to the advanced options and I don't have the option to fix nvda. Is there another solutions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.