Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
China
Quick Question:

So, I had all my apps running undera symlink on /private/var/Applications/. I noticed that all the native iphone/ipod apps were crashing, so I moved them back to there original folder. I left installer.app in the symlinked folder since I didnt want to dload all my applications to the root folder that has only 50meg of space, however, installer.app can run, read, and aparently not write though the permissions are set for it to write( ls -l shows drxrwxrwx 2 root admin... just to make sure it wasnt any sort of perm. problem)

The error i get is about unpacking the packages that I dload. Is there another folder that these unpacked packages are being placed in that I need to copy over.

Has anyone else had this issue

ps
btw, moving the native iphone apps away from the 3rd party apps fixes my crashes.

Arisian

Chris F

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2007
Launch installer from the ssh command line? Maybe it has some debug output that will be useful?

triela

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
Could it be that some app is not using an explicit path, but only a relative one based on the location of executable? Or that there is a conflict between using both original and symlinked /Application/ directories simultaneously?

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
China
Could it be that some app is not using an explicit path, but only a relative one based on the location of executable? Or that there is a conflict between using both original and symlinked /Application/ directories simultaneously?

there is no conflict between the symlinked and original directories. I did find that when running ditto (ditto is actually Installer in command line) ther was a function called 'keepParent' which I think lets you select the parent directory(ies).

I believe that it dloads the file, and tries to place it in Applications... and since its not in Applications it freaks out. I works jsut fine when i move it back to the original Applications folder, but that folder has 22 meg

Arisian

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
China
I determined that the problem is with the parent directory..

I have tried symlinking Installer.app ot the applications folder (ie root with 50 meg) and it still installs all the apps to that folder... which sucks since I dont have enough room for them there

i need to know how to change the folder that Installer.app puts the .dmg's in

anyone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.