Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I know APFS has ridiculous issues with displaying the actual space remaining, but this can’t be right? I’ve deleted about 80GB and restarted the computer and the installer still thinks there’s only 17.2GB available on my main drive?

Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 10.48.33.png

[automerge]1592873476[/automerge]
Deleting anything doesn’t change the available space in the installer either.
[automerge]1592873633[/automerge]
Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 10.53.06.png

Disk Utility seems to have the same issue. Also: “Shared by 5 volumes”??

SOLUTION: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/solution-reclaim-storage-back-from-system.2073174/

Last edited:

Jab00

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Boulder,CO
Oh my gosh someone with the same issue I had!

First question: If you Get Info on your HD or look at disk utility does it have an insane amount of "purgeable" storage?
(quite possibly your 17GB of free storage + the purgeable storage should equal what About My Mac shows as free?)

Assuming you have a giant amount of purgeable data the way I got mine to clear up was by starting a Bootcamp Assistant. Load the app, Press continue, and let it clean the hard drive.

This got rid of a ton of time capsule captures and other iCloud cached data. It freed up over 150GB of storage for me but I did need to download any folders I had stored on iCloud Drive (Desktop/Documents).

I have no idea if that is the 'Correct' answer but its what worked for me and I was in an almost identical boat as you about an hour ago

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Oh my gosh someone with the same issue I had!

First question: If you Get Info on your HD or look at disk utility does it have an insane amount of "purgeable" storage?
(quite possibly your 17GB of free storage + the purgeable storage should equal what About My Mac shows as free?)

Assuming you have a giant amount of purgeable data the way I got mine to clear up was by starting a Bootcamp Assistant. Load the app, Press continue, and let it clean the hard drive.

This got rid of a ton of time capsule captures and other iCloud cached data. It freed up over 150GB of storage for me but I did need to download any folders I had stored on iCloud Drive (Desktop/Documents).

I have no idea if that is the 'Correct' answer but its what worked for me and I was in an almost identical boat as you about an hour ago
Had to get rid of the ™ local backup manually. Just disabling local backups didn’t help.

Jab00

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Boulder,CO
Local iOS/iPadOS backups?

If so then thats what caused my issues too except I "deleted" them through the storage manager window which seemed to do about half of the job. Regardless glad you got it figured out!

kcwjr

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
Santa Fe, NM
I know APFS has ridiculous issues with displaying the actual space remaining, but this can’t be right? I’ve deleted about 80GB and restarted the computer and the installer still thinks there’s only 17.2GB available on my main drive?

View attachment 926256
[automerge]1592873476[/automerge]
Deleting anything doesn’t change the available space in the installer either.
[automerge]1592873633[/automerge]
View attachment 926258

Disk Utility seems to have the same issue. Also: “Shared by 5 volumes”??

SOLUTION: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/solution-reclaim-storage-back-from-system.2073174/
I had this same issue - About this Mac said I had 200gb free, but disk utility only showed 21. Found out it was 5 local snapshots from Time Machine that were hogging all the space - I found this helpful https://www.macworld.com/article/3260635/how-to-delete-time-machine-snapshots-on-your-mac.html
I used their terminal commands to delete the local snapshots as they say, and bingo the diskutility and about this mac matched on the amount of free space. Then it will install. Hope this helps.

Reactions: peschybear
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.