Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ADDvanced

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2015
Hi. I have a 24" iMac 6.1 with a 7600gt. It's currently running 10.6.8, which is fine for the most part. I have the machine in my garage for diagnosing things, so I'm using it primiarly as a music player and web surfer. The specs are great. Core 2 duo. 4 gigs ram. Should surf the web fine, but I can't find any supported browsers for snow leopard.

This has led me to read up on Mac Post Factor. I created a USB drive, formatted correclty, and installed the 10.8 installer onto it. I then patched the installer using Mac Post Factor. I did all this on my mac pro.

When I plug it into my iMac, it shows up as a USB drive. I restart, hold down options, and it shows up as a bootable drive. When I try to boot from it, it shows the apple logo, maybe 30 seconds or so, then goes white and shows the apple logo again, because it's booting from the normal boot drive now. It basically gives up booting from the USB stick.

To see if the USB stick was the issue, I plugged it into my mac pro, and tried booting from it. Works perfect, I get a Mac Post Factor OSX install screen.

Why would my imac 6.1 not boot from this thumbdrive? Do I need to install 10.7 first?
[doublepost=1514066382][/doublepost]Update: I tried partitioning the main drive, then I restored the bootable USB 10.8 installed onto one of the partitions. I booted from that with the sme result: it boots for 30 seconds or so, then reboots on the other drive.

Why would a mac pro be able to boot from this, but not an iMac 6.1?

ADDvanced

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2015
I have tried again using ML Post factor .03 beta. Another user told me he had success with this, but NOT with mac post factor. I ran ML post factor on the mac pro to try to patch the USB 10.8 installer, but it just hangs. Anyone?

Dicere

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2017
Western Australia
I used Mac post factor 1.01 loaded on the internal drive. Loaded up, applied updates, reapplied post factor and it’s all working beautifully. I did it last week on an iMac 5,1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.