Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BNebraska

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2021
I'm installing an Epson xp 7100 on an older mac mini 3,1.. OS 10.10.5 and wondering if anyone has had any problems with the Epson driver etc software.

BNebraska

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2021
I can be a bit clearer about the mini I'm installing to as well ... *not* 3,1 duh... late 2012 2.3 G core i7.

yeah, epson does a pretty good job at their website for the 7100 and others ( https://epson.com/Support/Printers/...H03201?review-filter=Mac+OS+X+10.10.x#drivers ). If you change the "operating system" button down towards the lower left part of that page to "Mac os 10.10" you'll see the drivers etc for that printer for os 10.10. (It will already have the os you're running on in that blank. It autofills for me to 10.12 which is what I'm on, not the one I'm installing on). If you check out system requirements for some of the "all in one" printers there, you'll find that a lot of them run on os 10.7 and up. It seems that Epson has not discontinued any of their drives, just build printers to still run on a wide range of drivers. So I'm going on the assumption that if the specs for a certain printer list older os's, that they really run on those. I was hoping that with the number of users here, someone might have happened to have already installed the xp7100 on a late 2012 mini running yosemite

My question now is whether I need the firmware update (and what firmware does it update... printer or the 10.10 mini?) I did install the combo, but no luck so far. So I've uninstalled and am going to call them today to find out. I just downloaded all the stuff there to the mini except for the firmware update and installed the Combo from mini itself not directly from the site.

Last edited:

BNebraska

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2021
Got it done. Trouble I was having was a newbie one... Checked the usb cable. Solved the issue. I'm really pretty impressed with ease of finding mac install software information, download and installation. Smooth. Now I just hope the printer is as good. Thanks LeeW. You really still have a 68040, or the number is just in memory of?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.