Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WRCfan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2005
New Zealand
Hello all, i have 2 computer I am wanting to install classic onto, one is my powerbook running OS10.3 and the other is my iBook running OS10.2

I am just wanting to know how I can go about putting classic into the machines despite already having the OSX installed. Is it the same for both the machines as they have different OS versions?
Thanks in advance

Aaron

eleveneastgate

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
I'm pretty sure OS 9 Classic is already there on both your Macs.

System Pref---> Look under System, You'll see it, :)

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
WRCfan said:
Hello all, i have 2 computer I am wanting to install classic onto, one is my powerbook running OS10.3 and the other is my iBook running OS10.2

I am just wanting to know how I can go about putting classic into the machines despite already having the OSX installed. Is it the same for both the machines as they have different OS versions?
Thanks in advance

Aaron

It will have to be at least OS 9.2.1, but just put the CD in the drive, clik on "install OS 9.x.x" ... and follow the instructions.....be sure not to erase the HD in the process :)

Once installed, then reboot into OS X, open system preferences, clik on "classic", and select the system folder you just installed as the one you want to use for the classic environment......the FIRE IT UP :D

TLRedhawke

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2004
Some of the newer Macs also come with an OSX GUI installer for the Classic environment. You can also just drag an OS9 System Folder on to your hard drive, and it will be accessible as a Classic environment. Either of these options has to be used if your Mac is new enough that it will not boot OS9.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
TLRedhawke said:
You can also just drag an OS9 System Folder on to your hard drive, and it will be accessible as a Classic environment.
I've tried that solution a couple of times in the pat and haven't had any joy with it – Classic just doesn't want to open. The 'Additional Software' disk that comes with the Mac has the Classic Installer on, though – that works flawlessly..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.