Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frosse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Sweden
Is it possible to install a clean version of Mavericks without using a bootable drive such as a USB stick or an external drive? I only have one USB for backup purposes.

What if I install Mavericks on my mac and then use Internet OS X Recovery, will I get a clean install then?

Last edited:

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Is it possible to install a clean version of Mavericks without using a bootable drive such as a USB stick or an external drive? I only have one USB for backup purposes.

What if I install Mavericks on my mac and then use Internet OS X Recovery, will I get a clean install then?

Yes. You can upgrade Mavericks and then perform a clean install from the recovery drive. I have done this in the past and it works well, although this method takes longer than a clean install from a bootable drive ;).

frosse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Sweden
Yes. You can upgrade Mavericks and then perform a clean install from the recovery drive. I have done this in the past and it works well, although this method takes longer than a clean install from a bootable drive ;).

And then it's as clean as it gets?

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
And then it's as clean as it gets?

Yes. Make sure before installing Mavericks you enter disk utility in the recovery mode and erase the drive you want to install the OS on, then you will have a completely clean install.

Konrad.

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2012
Works just fine :) Now I got a clean installation without bootable drives and **** :p

Can I do this if I already updated to mavericks?

I wanted a clean install, I thought there will be an option to choose when installing, but...

frosse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Sweden
Can I do this if I already updated to mavericks?

I wanted a clean install, I thought there will be an option to choose when installing, but...
Yes!

1. Restart your mac and hold Command+R until it boots in recovery mode
2. Click Dish Utility
3. Click your Macintosh HD and choose Erase in the upper menu and then choose Mac OS Journaled (or whatever it says) and then Erase to the right. This basically formats your HDD
4. Quit Disc Utility
5. Click Reinstall OS X (make sure that it has the Mavericks logo)
6. Follow instructions
7. Rock out with your c**k out :cool:

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
I just upgraded to Mavericks, didn't do a clean install.

Let's say when OS X 10.9.1 is released and I want to do a clean install of that without a USB drive. Would I first update my system to 10.9.1 and then go into the Recovery Partition to clean install 10.9.1? Or would doing that still install 10.9.0 ? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.