Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weelob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Hi guys,

I've just formatted my harddrive to install from scratch. When I need to activate it, it needs to be online. Alright, I have multiple WiFi networks available so that shouldn't be a problem.

But whenever I try to connect it can't connect. I'm out of luck and don't have a USB->Ethernet. Anyone knows any tricks to make it work on WiFi?

I can see in network settings that it's getting a 169.*.*.* IP and not the correct one because all my routers are running 192.168.*.*

Internet Thertering from iPhone -> Macbook with WiFi does make connection but it just shows "Signing in to the App Store".

Do you have any advice? Nothing on Google yet.

PS: I have the OSX 10.7 install on my USB at home, but I would like to get it working now :)

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Hi guys,

I've just formatted my harddrive to install from scratch. When I need to activate it, it needs to be online. Alright, I have multiple WiFi networks available so that shouldn't be a problem.

But whenever I try to connect it can't connect. I'm out of luck and don't have a USB->Ethernet. Anyone knows any tricks to make it work on WiFi?

I can see in network settings that it's getting a 169.*.*.* IP and not the correct one because all my routers are running 192.168.*.*

Internet Thertering from iPhone -> Macbook with WiFi does make connection but it just shows "Signing in to the App Store".

Do you have any advice? Nothing on Google yet.

PS: I have the OSX 10.7 install on my USB at home, but I would like to get it working now :)

I downloaded it over Wi-Fi through the App Store yesterday and it worked fine. Are you having an issue only with d/l'ing 10.9 over Wi-Fi? or can your Air not sign onto Wi-Fi at all? I'm a little confused..

weelob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
I downloaded it over Wi-Fi through the App Store yesterday and it worked fine. Are you having an issue only with d/l'ing 10.9 over Wi-Fi? or can your Air not sign onto Wi-Fi at all? I'm a little confused..

Both at the moment. What happens is if I turn on my Internet Thertering before I start the computer, it connects to the WiFi network my iPhone have. I can then continue and choose harddrive to install on, until it will sign into app store where I don't get the login screen.

I've tested the internet connection and Safari works inside the installer.

I think I'll just wait until I'm home and reinstall from 10.7 to 10.8 and 10.9.

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Both at the moment. What happens is if I turn on my Internet Thertering before I start the computer, it connects to the WiFi network my iPhone have. I can then continue and choose harddrive to install on, until it will sign into app store where I don't get the login screen.

I've tested the internet connection and Safari works inside the installer.

I think I'll just wait until I'm home and reinstall from 10.7 to 10.8 and 10.9.

What you may want to do is pull everything off the wireless network, iPhones, iPads, laptops, gaming systems, etc and restart the router. Sometimes another device on the network will send a conflicting IP address.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.