Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adrian0883

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
USA
Sorry to bother you all, but I need some assistance. I have a 21.5 inch iMac (A1311 Late 2009) that I need to install High Sierra on. The HDD has been completely reformatted with active killdisk. I need to make a USB using Windows to restore this OS since there is nothing on the HDD of the iMac. Is there a way that I can do this?

theMarble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2020
Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
You will not be able to make a working macOS installer from Windows. It needs to be created from a Mac.

It can be any Mac, Intel or Apple Silicon (PPC should work as createinstallmedia is a simple Terminal script but I've never tried it).

With a Mac, you can download High Sierra from Apple's website and follow their instructions on how to create a USB installer using createinstallmedia (a script built into the installer that works through Terminal).

17fox

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2022
Vienna, Austria
Sorry to bother you all, but I need some assistance. I have a 21.5 inch iMac (A1311 Late 2009) that I need to install High Sierra on. The HDD has been completely reformatted with active killdisk. I need to make a USB using Windows to restore this OS since there is nothing on the HDD of the iMac. Is there a way that I can do this?
Alternatively, you can try creating a virtual machine running MacOS and making a bootable installer from there. As I can recall, VMWare offers 14-days free trial, so you could use it for it or VirtualBox

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
@adrian0883 Try and find, using Internet Archive, a High Sierra .iso file. Use a torrent program to download it. Then use Balena Etcher on Windows to flash the installer to a 16GB or larger USB stick. Ignore the warning about no partitioning or whatever. If you really get stuck, I will try and send you the iso, but it will have to wait until I get home from where I'm currently working.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
did you try the recovery mode while rebooting?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.