Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
I am looking to acquire two original iPod touches to install iOS 1.1 and iOS 2.0 on. I would like to have these running the old OS to simply have as reference.

I have the OS downloads needed - is there anything I need to do in order to install the OS? Will Apple try to reject me from installing this? I know with iPhones going back to old version can be tricky.

Any suggestions on installing old operating systems on the original iPod touch?

Epic Orange

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2011
Element X
I am looking to acquire two original iPod touches to install iOS 1.1 and iOS 2.0 on. I would like to have these running the old OS to simply have as reference.

I have the OS downloads needed - is there anything I need to do in order to install the OS? Will Apple try to reject me from installing this? I know with iPhones going back to old version can be tricky.

Any suggestions on installing old operating systems on the original iPod touch?

Have you even tried restoring to one of them? Have you tried shift+restore and restoring to any one of those iOS versions?

With the iPod Touch 1st gen, I think Apple does not really care about restoring to that firmware, but beware that most apps are not functionally in those firmware versions...

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Yes I have - Apple only allows 3.1.3 to be installed on the older devices - one would think Apple wouldn't care - but they do :(

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Apple has never cared about restoring older firmwares onto first gen iPod Touches. All you have to do is put the iPod Touch into DFU mode and restore to the proper firmware. If it fails, you'll have to use an older version of iTunes. 7.5 should work without a problem. If you plan on jailbreaking them, remember that there is no jailbreak for the iPod Touch running 1.1.

Tech Elementz

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2011
Apple has never cared about restoring older firmwares onto first gen iPod Touches. All you have to do is put the iPod Touch into DFU mode and restore to the proper firmware. If it fails, you'll have to use an older version of iTunes. 7.5 should work without a problem. If you plan on jailbreaking them, remember that there is no jailbreak for the iPod Touch running 1.1.

If regular DFU mode does not work, he could just get it into pwned DFU mode, which will work for restoring to anything.

Here is the link: http://ih8sn0w.com/index.php/products/view/ireb.snow

Tech Elementz

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2011
The iPod Touch does not have a pwned DUF mode. Only the 3Gs and newer. It has to do with how the iDevice is jailbroken.

Nope. I can get into Pwned DFU mode on my iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G with iREB. IT must work on the iPod Touch 1G. Explain how ih8sn0w.com says that the iPod Touch 1G is supported in the link above.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Nope. I can get into Pwned DFU mode on my iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G with iREB. IT must work on the iPod Touch 1G. Explain how ih8sn0w.com says that the iPod Touch 1G is supported in the link above.

It says pwned DFU, but it isn't the same type of pwned DFU as on 3Gs and and newer iDevices. All it is is a simple iBSS upload.

Tech Elementz

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2011
It says pwned DFU, but it isn't the same type of pwned DFU as on 3Gs and and newer iDevices. All it is is a simple iBSS upload.

Either way, I can get into pwned DFU mode with my iDevices and restore to any iOS version I want. :)

If pwned dfu mode does not work on the iPod Touch 1G, it does not work. However, he might as well give it a try.

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

This is right. You MUST use iTunes 7.5 to restore to iOS 1.1. I tried to restore using iTunes 10.3 and it gave me an error, using 7.5 did the trick.

Tech Elementz

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2011
This is right. You MUST use iTunes 7.5 to restore to iOS 1.1. I tried to restore using iTunes 10.3 and it gave me an error, using 7.5 did the trick.

I guess it would be possible. This is possible and most likely because older versions of iTunes could handle older firmwares as if those were traditional, in the sense that it could handle the firmware properly based on that version. :) Hope the OP knows what to do now...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.