Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Armen

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Follow these steps:

1. Download and install Xcode 11 Beta (You do NOT need to update your MacOs to Catalina)
  2. Download the iOS 13 Beta 1 IPSW for your iPhone model from the Internet.
  3. Connect your iPhone to your computer using a cable
  4. Open Xcode > create a new project > give the project a name, click ok. When done you should see your iPhone at the top of the Xcode window.
  5. Go to iTunes, Option + Check for update > browse to the IPSW you downloaded.
On first boot up iOS may act a little weird (maps wouldn't display for me initially). I waited a few minutes and restarted and everything was fine.

Reactions: Alhagar and nutmac

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Thanks. I have a second Mac that I was going to upgrade to Catalina. But you saved me the trouble.

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
You don't need Xcode. If you can just find the MobileDevice.pkg from it (there are plenty online) you can just install that instead. 5MB vs 8GB.

niel__

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016
CA
so one thing, if we updated our phone using the IPSW (I did)... do we get subsequent updates automatically (over the air) or do we have to update our phone manually?

Armen

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
so one thing, if we updated our phone using the IPSW (I did)... do we get subsequent updates automatically (over the air) or do we have to update our phone manually?

My guess is once the dev or public beta profiles are available and installed we should get OTA updates.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
You don't need Xcode. If you can just find the MobileDevice.pkg from it (there are plenty online) you can just install that instead. 5MB vs 8GB.

I used this method. Just make sure you restart your computer after the pkg is done installing. Then and only then will iTunes recognize the new betas.

Reactions: Camperniki

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012
Installing this way is a full restore and not update, thus restore from backup required. Correct?

Sneakerp

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
I am in the process of doing this now from installing the MobileDevice.pkg

Currently downloading the IPSW atm.

Hope this works fine and without any issues.

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
For the record, in my experience, macOS 10.15 doesn't work at all when attempting to update to iOS 13, bricking the iOS device trying to be updated and causing severe macOS instability in the process.

DanRyb

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Orange County, CA
For the record, in my experience, macOS 10.15 doesn't work at all when attempting to update to iOS 13, bricking the iOS device trying to be updated and causing severe macOS instability in the process.

Yikes! I updated both my iPad Pro 11" and iPhone XS Max on macOS 10.15 without any issues with either device.

Sneakerp

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
I did a option + update on mine and it just updated it to iOS 13 without a wipe.

Sorry for my noob question, but did you hit option and the "+" key or option and then selected (+) the IPSW? Thanks!

Camperniki

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
Southern California
I tried to do it this way. I think because my mac is too old I keep getting a firmware error. Anyone else get this? Any workarounds? (don't have windows 10)

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
Installing this way is a full restore and not update, thus restore from backup required. Correct?
I chose to do option + check for updates instead of option + restore. A clean install would probably be the best to do but I don't want to lose my data and the backup feature in Catalina is finicky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.