Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RestUnknown

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2011
I own a MBP (pre-unibody model) for over 12 years now I think.

I occasionaly still use it for certain purposes. It currently is installed with El Capitan I believe, but it's actually too taxing for the laptop.

My plan is to format and install Lion on it. I do believe I still have the cd that came with it. But I removed the cd player from it. Is Lion currently available as a free download or is my only solution to reinstall the cd player and go with the cd's to reinstall it?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I own a MBP (pre-unibody model) for over 12 years now I think.

I occasionaly still use it for certain purposes. It currently is installed with El Capitan I believe, but it's actually too taxing for the laptop.

My plan is to format and install Lion on it. I do believe I still have the cd that came with it. But I removed the cd player from it. Is Lion currently available as a free download or is my only solution to reinstall the cd player and go with the cd's to reinstall it?
Lion is available as a download from Apple, but it is not free. After purchase, Apple will email you a code to use to download it from the App Store.
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6106/os-x-lion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.