Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaxSolar0713

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2020
Hello,

So, I recently got an ATA-3 to USB adapter for my iMac's hard drive. To sum up, the hard drive size is 40gb, and I have no system on it, my G3's CD drive is dead. I was wondering, could I do one of two things:

1. Install and "Bless" Mac OS 9 by copying a form of it from my G5 (10.5) through the USB adapter to the hard drive

2. Same as above, but with Mac OS X 10.3

3. Do such, but with a Mac OS X or Mac OS 9 Install Disk.

The way I see it, I should be able to install OS X or 9 by copying the installation files to a partition, booting from such, and installing to new partition, booting to partition, and then deleting install partition. I haven't tried it, and with my attempts to try and copy an OS 9 system folder to my G3 (surprise, surprise, it didn't boot)'s drive, I'd like to verify the ability to do this.

-Max

Specifications:

iMac G3, Tray-Loading, 233MhZ
40GiB PATA drive
Theoretically no CD-ROM
State: Unable to boot to anything as of now.

iMac G5 (master system in an attempt to copy files, as I have no other newworld Mac Computer
DVD drive functional

Reactions: alex_free

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2020
I do something similar after reformatting. In your case I would do the reformatting and initial OSX install on a different Mac but using your storage for the target computer.

Just recently I wiped my mini, booted Leopard installer CD, and created 3 partitions with OS9 drivers enabled. One for Leopard, one for Panther, one for OS 9.

Installed Leopard, made sure that my Panther DMG was read only (if it’s read write you need to convert it), scanned the image for restore, then restored it to the soon to be OS 9 partition

Booted into the Panther installer partition, installed Panther on the Panther partition.

Now in Panther I reformatted the installer partition for OS 9.

Next I mounted the Mac Mini G4 Mac OS 9 Hacked ISO file. Within is a Contents directory. Opened it, and mounted the Macintosh HD file. After that I copied everything into the macos9 partition.

Blessing was done by executing the command below.

sudo bless -folder9 /Volumes/macos9/System\ Folder -use9 -bootBlockFile /usr/share/misc/bootblockdata

Might be relevant http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=5345.0

Last edited:
Reactions: Amethyst1

MaxSolar0713

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2020
I do something similar after reformatting. In your case I would do the reformatting and initial OSX install on a different Mac but using your storage for the target computer.

Just recently I wiped my mini, booted Leopard installer CD, and created 3 partitions with OS9 drivers enabled. One for Leopard, one for Panther, one for OS 9.

Installed Leopard, made sure that my Panther DMG was read only (if it’s read write you need to convert it), scanned the image for restore, then restored it to the soon to be OS 9 partition

Booted into the Panther installer partition, installed Panther on the Panther partition.

Now in Panther I reformatted the installer partition for OS 9.

Next I mounted the Mac Mini G4 Mac OS 9 Hacked ISO file. Within is a Contents directory. Opened it, and mounted the Macintosh HD file. After that I copied everything into the macos9 partition.

Blessing was done by executing the command below.

sudo bless -folder9 /Volumes/macos9/System\ Folder -use9 -bootBlockFile /usr/share/misc/bootblockdata

Might be relevant http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=5345.0

This is a Tray-Loading G3 with a G3 Processor. It doesn't support Leopard. Could you clarify what I should do?

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
This is how I'd do it:

1. Connect empty 40 GB drive to iMac G5 using USB-ATA bridge.

2. Open Disk Utility and partition drive into four partitions, making sure to (a) use Apple Partition Map and (b) install OS 9 drivers (otherwise OS 9 will not be able to boot from it).

Partition 1: This is where Panther will be installed
Partition 2: This is where OS 9 will be installed
Partition 3: This is where Panther's installation disc/image will be cloned to
Partition 4: This is where OS 9's installation disc/image will be cloned to

3. Using Disk Utility's Restore functionality, restore Panther install disc (should be a single DVD or DVD ISO, as the retail three-CD set will be difficult to adapt to this strategy*) to Partition 3.

3. Using Disk Utility's Restore functionality, restore OS 9 install disc to Partition 4.

4. Boot iMac from Partition 3 and install Panther on Partition 1

5. Boot iMac from Partition 4 and install OS 9 on Partition 2

6. Enjoy.

* I'd use a gray machine-specific DVD/ISO containing Panther 10.3.7 (it's easy to modify to work on any machine) to have the newest baseline OS. This one, for instance:

Last edited:

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2020
This is how I'd do it:

1. Connect empty 40 GB drive to iMac G5 using USB-ATA bridge.

2. Open Disk Utility and partition drive into four partitions, making sure to (a) use Apple Partition Map and (b) install OS 9 drivers (otherwise OS 9 will not be able to boot from it).

Partition 1: This is where Panther will be installed
Partition 2: This is where OS 9 will be installed
Partition 3: This is where Panther's installation disc/image will be cloned to
Partition 4: This is where OS 9's installation disc/image will be cloned to

3. Using Disk Utility's Restore functionality, restore Panther install disc (should be a single DVD or DVD ISO, as the retail three-CD set will be difficult to adapt to this strategy*) to Partition 3.

3. Using Disk Utility's Restore functionality, restore OS 9 install disc to Partition 4.

4. Boot iMac from Partition 3 and install Panther on Partition 1

5. Boot iMac from Partition 4 and install OS 9 on Partition 2

6. Enjoy.

* I'd use a gray machine-specific DVD/ISO containing Panther 10.3.7 (it's easy to modify to work on any machine) to have the newest baseline OS. This one, for instance:

Whoever uploaded that image ripped it wrong, it’s read write and has to be converted to read only to restore (I use that exact one).

One day I’ll upload the pre fixed dmg to the Garden.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Whoever uploaded that image ripped it wrong, it’s read write and has to be converted to read only to restore (I use that exact one).
Thanks for the hint - I own the genuine disc so haven't checked that image. I noticed it's been uploaded twice - is the second upload any good?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.