Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
I’ve searched around and have asked elsewhere but can’t find and haven't received an answer to my questions around installing Monterey 12.5.1 on my MyBootMgr RefindPlus|OpenCore setup.

I’m using MyBootMgr 083 and have selected the option to support Monterey in ConfigFactory. I have 3 OC options on my RefindPlus picklist, and I assume OC_ALT is set up for updating and installing macOS versions. But will it do Monterey?

I’m wanting to install Monterey to a separate SSD just for testing purposes at this stage.

So can I just use the MyBootMgr generated OC_ALT to install Monterey 12.5.1 (I selected the option to include compatibility for Monterey), or do I have to use an OC specifically generated from OCLP?

I ask this because I’ve compared the config.plist generated by the OCLP utility with the OC and OC_ALT config.plists generated by MyBootMgr and they differ vastly.

If the MyBootMgr OC_ALT isn’t compatible for installing Monterey, can I just replace my OC_ALT folder with the contents of the OCLP generated folder, or do I have to install Monterey the full OCLP method by booting from the USB stick and therefore completely moving away from my RefindPlus setup?

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
I assume OC_ALT is set up for updating and installing macOS versions. But will it do Monterey?
Your query and having to assume suggests there is no clarity but ...
  1. ConfigFactory specifically asks about Monterey and you apparently indicated this
  2. ConfigFactory outputs a log file where it would have written the instance is to Install/Update Monterey/Older
  3. Whenever you select the instance in RefindPlus, there is text saying it is to Install/Update Monterey/Older
I’ve compared the config.plist generated by the OCLP utility with the OC and OC_ALT config.plists generated by MyBootMgr and they differ vastly.
That's a bit like comparing a config created from using the OpenCore on the Mac Pro thread to that from the OCLP and concluding the former may not be able to be used because they differ vastly.

can I just replace my OC_ALT folder with the contents of the OCLP generated folder
You will find instructions on incorporating setups generated using thrid party tools and processes in the MyBootMgr guide if you want to go down that path.

All said and done though, it seems the key issue in your case is one of peace of mind and you may therefore be better off going the whole hog and fully switch to only using the OCLP instead.

Reactions: JedNZ

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
I appreciate your reply @Dayo . I was hoping not to waste anyone's time. I have spent a lot of time reading and staying up with the macOS 12 Monterey on Unsupported Macs Thread forum, but there's no chatter about/from RefindPlus users that answers my questions partially or fully.

MyBootMgr and RefindPlus|OpenCore is my much loved and preferred method for running these later versions of macOS and of course Windows 10/11 via Legacy. I was just hoping someone using MyBootMgr and the RefindPlus|OpenCore chainloader might already have a tried and tested method for installing Monterey (plus any hints and tips), and could give me confidence that I can do it that way without having to move to the OpenCore or OCLP methods. Everywhere I read about installing Monterey is about people using other of those two, and there's no mention of someone installing Monterey using RefindPlus|OpenCore.

That's a bit like comparing a config created from using the OpenCore on the Mac Pro thread to that from the OCLP and concluding the former may not be able to be used because they differ vastly.
Not quite. I could see there was a difference, and was wondering whether the difference meant I couldn't install Monterey via the RefindPlus|OpenCore way. Sorry I didn't write this more clearly.

You will find instructions on incorporating setups generated using thrid party tools and processes in the MyBootMgr guide if you want to go down that path.
I was asking more about whether that was something I would have to do, and do manually if that is the case, rather than whether it's just possible.

So I'm just backing everything up, and am going to boot back into BigSur via RefindPlus|OC_ALT and try and install from the full macOS installer in my Applications folder. Fingers crossed. I'll reply back as to how I go so anyone else asking this question can add-to or take-from my experience.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
I was asking more about whether that was something I would have to do, and do manually if that is the case, rather than whether it's just possible.
There are not that many things you must do and it is typically more of a case of available options. It then becomes a consideration of whether someone has produced something to automate implementing the specific option you want or not if you prefer such automation. Naturally, you will have to implement it manually if not.

The MyBootMgr guide indicates that intergrating third party configs is an available option and under a "Customisation" subsection, tells you what you need to consider in terms of implementing this. You may have not referred back to the guide for a while.

000-AnimalFarmStyleSloganMBM.JPG

EDIT: @Macschrauber posted a guide to adding the OCLP to setups created with MyBootMgr:

In German but the images should be self explanatory.

One small "error" there is that the bit that says OpenCore Legacy Patcher Pathway 3 should, as with any Refindplus config file comment, have a hash in front and be # Comment text.

That instance will work as it is but waste some processing cycles and omitting the hash on other comments may lead to failures or wierd output.

Last edited:

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
Success, and way easier than I thought it would.

I booted into BigSur using the OC_ALT option in RefindPlus, downloaded the full Monterey installer via System Preferences>System Update, and installed Monterey onto my spare SSD. A fairly quick and uneventful process - just had to be patient when the window stalled after the first reboot, and a little more patience as it installs and then reboot again before finally restarting a third time to the Monterey setup screens. Voila! All my fears and worries were allayed therefore.

So the big stumbling [mind] block for me was a lack of specific information telling me that was all I had to do. I overcomplicated it by reading the macOS 12 Monterey on Unsupported Macs Thread forum where other users have to jump through a few more loops with their particular non-metal, non-modern WIFI systems, which is where OCLP comes in handy for them with the post-install fixes. I thought I had to do some of this stuff too, hence why I asked some fairly dumb questions about how to install Monterey if I was using RefindPlus|OpenCore. 😊

Reactions: Dayo

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
So the big stumbling [mind] block for me was a lack of specific information telling me that was all I had to do.

MyBootMgr Guide:
UpdateMacOS.JPG

To be fair though, this was added not so long ago.

EDIT
This has been there for ages though:
InstallMacOS.JPG

Needs some updating but would have done

Last edited:

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
Thanks Dayo. Yes I did read that but again I confused myself by reading the other Monterey forum. I’m a bit of a cautious person and the pressures of COVID hasn’t been so kind to my brain function. I’ll know better for next time.

Reactions: Dayo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.