Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VOGUEx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
Quick question, I'm new to macs.. So when you download a program, say Perian or whatever, after it finishes downloading it opens up to let you install, and you install it. On your desktop there's the "Perian" object that looks like what the HD looks like then there is also the .DMG file. Am I suppose to Drag the "perian icon" into my apps folder, and then DELETE the .DMG file? Cause that's what I'm hearing about this "mounting" stuff. Whenever I just delete the .DMG file, and empty my trash, when I go to my Apps folder and click on the "perian icon" it says that it can't be found, and that I can fix the Alias of it ...so I'm kinda confuse..am I suppose to make a new folder in the Apps folder and then drag the "perian icon" AND the .DMG file or what?

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Think of DMG files as a box, which contains the application inside. When you download a dmg, it is then mounted, this is like opening the box. The opened box (mounted dmg) will appear on the sidebar of finder, kind of the same way an external drive would. You should then empty the contents of the box (move the files out of the dmg) into your application folder. You can then unmount/eject the dmg (close the box) and throw it away.

Hope that clears things up a little

boobooq88

macrumors regular
May 12, 2007
If you are dragging the icon that looks like a Hard Drive sorta icon to your aps folder... thats not what you do. for other apps the install is a little different... but to help you out i had to download perian myself as it appears it install differently than normal applications

If you downloaded version 1.0 from here:

1) after it is downloaded it should open up a Finder window (if not double click on that hard drive looking icon on your desktop)
2) double click on the pocket knife logo

If you downloaded version 0.5 from here:

1) after it is downloaded it should open up a Finder window (if not double click on that hard drive looking icon on your desktop)
2) double cick on the quicktime folder and a new window should open up
3) drag the "block"-looking icon from the perian window to the new window

and that should do it

close all the windows and trash the .dmg file and then drag that hard drive looking icon over the trash

BTW... thanks for pointing me toward what looks to be like a useful plugin for me :)

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Quick question, I'm new to macs.. So when you download a program, say Perian or whatever, after it finishes downloading it opens up to let you install, and you install it. On your desktop there's the "Perian" object that looks like what the HD looks like then there is also the .DMG file. Am I suppose to Drag the "perian icon" into my apps folder, and then DELETE the .DMG file? Cause that's what I'm hearing about this "mounting" stuff. Whenever I just delete the .DMG file, and empty my trash, when I go to my Apps folder and click on the "perian icon" it says that it can't be found, and that I can fix the Alias of it ...so I'm kinda confuse..am I suppose to make a new folder in the Apps folder and then drag the "perian icon" AND the .DMG file or what?

Perian isn't an app, but a plug-in so will not be dragged to the application folder. After opening the DMG file you'll see the Perian.prefPane (if you have it set to see extensions). Double click this file and it will install. You'll then be able to access it from System Preferences at the bottom. Once this is done you can trash the DMG file. I just installed this last week.

VOGUEx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
thanks guys. i been dling verious things today and i'm getting the hang of it :)

roxwho

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
Thank you. What a great explanation for a beginner like me

Think of DMG files as a box, which contains the application inside. When you download a dmg, it is then mounted, this is like opening the box. The opened box (mounted dmg) will appear on the sidebar of finder, kind of the same way an external drive would. You should then empty the contents of the box (move the files out of the dmg) into your application folder. You can then unmount/eject the dmg (close the box) and throw it away.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
swiftaw said:

Glad I could help

papa dmitri

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007
Canada
how to install .dmg

I have a Mac w/ OS9.1
I tried to download googleearth and the download was a .dmg file which my computer does not recognize. It says what should I do with this file -unknown binary type? Is .dmg an application? If so how do i get it? Any advice from anyone?
papa dmitri

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
I have a Mac w/ OS9.1
I tried to download googleearth and the download was a .dmg file which my computer does not recognize. It says what should I do with this file -unknown binary type? Is .dmg an application? If so how do i get it? Any advice from anyone?
papa dmitri

Are you sure Google Earth works with OS9? I started with OS X so not sure if it used the dmg structure. DMG just means "disk image" and is a transport mechanism, similar to a zip file. The DMG file can be mounted and shows up like another disk in Finder (at least for OSX). Then you would be able to access the application file inside it and install.

solaris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I have a Mac w/ OS9.1
papa dmitri
You won't have much luck with Google Earth anyway, since you are far off the system requirements:
System requirements for Google Earth on the Mac
The Google Earth client requires certain system configurations in order to run smoothly on the Mac.

Minimum Configuration:

* Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3.9
* CPU: G3 500Mhz
* System Memory (RAM): 256MB RAM
* Hard Disk: 400MB free space
http://earth.google.com/faq.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.