Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

care_stars

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Oakville, Ontario
Hello,

I want to install an old game I used to play as a kid (it's called Pirates: Captain's Quest). I was able to find a free download of it, for which I needed to also use an expander to access, so I downloaded Stuffit Expander.

Stuffit Expander is open and looks like it's working, but once it goes all the way through I get the message "“Pirates.iso” couldn’t be moved because you don’t have permission to access “Desktop”." I only have one user on this computer, for which I am the administrator.

From just looking around on the internet, I thought maybe the problem was something to do with the disk permissions, so I went into Disk Utilities and ran a "Repair Disk Permissions", but that didn't make it work either.

I have never downloaded software like this before and I'm not that proficient in complicated Mac things anyway. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Additional information

I'm running Yosemite 10.10.5 (14F1021)
The stuffit expander is 16.0

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Hello,

I want to install an old game I used to play as a kid (it's called Pirates: Captain's Quest). I was able to find a free download of it, for which I needed to also use an expander to access, so I downloaded Stuffit Expander.

Stuffit Expander is open and looks like it's working, but once it goes all the way through I get the message "“Pirates.iso” couldn’t be moved because you don’t have permission to access “Desktop”." I only have one user on this computer, for which I am the administrator.

From just looking around on the internet, I thought maybe the problem was something to do with the disk permissions, so I went into Disk Utilities and ran a "Repair Disk Permissions", but that didn't make it work either.

I have never downloaded software like this before and I'm not that proficient in complicated Mac things anyway. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Additional information

I'm running Yosemite 10.10.5 (14F1021)
The stuffit expander is 16.0

Are you talking about this? http://www.macintoshrepository.org/3152-pirates-captain-s-quest

That's only for OS 9. You could try running the Windows version in wine. There's also SheepShaver, an OS 9 emulator.

care_stars

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Oakville, Ontario
Thank you for your response. That is the right game, although I didn't get it from that site. Despite that, I think it's probably the same version. I tried to get SheepShaver, because it was recommended on the site I got it from, but I don't understand how to download it. When I go to the page it's being held on, there are a ton of things to choose from. Like I said before, I'm really new to this and I don't understand.

This is the website I'm looking on.

https://github.com/cebix/macemu

care_stars

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Oakville, Ontario
Thank you for your reply. I ended up getting SheepsShaver to work. Now the problem is getting the game I want to run. I was able to unzip it with The Unarchiver app from the App Store, but when I moved it to the shared files in OS9 (sheep shaver) it says it cannot be opened because the application that created it could not be found.

What do I do now?

Last edited:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Thank you for your reply. I ended up getting SheepsShaver to work. Now the problem is getting the game I want to run. I was able to unzip it with The Unarchiver app from the App Store, but when I moved it to the shared files in OS9 (sheep shaver) it says it cannot be opened because the application that created it could not be found.

What do I do now?

See this topic: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6996

Sounds like you need to use stuffit for OS 9 and decompress it within SheepShaver.

care_stars

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Oakville, Ontario
Thanks again for the response. I did what you suggested, and tried to unpack it with Stuffit and have the unzipped file saved directly into my shared folder in the SheepShaver file, but I get the same stupid message I had from the start "“Pirates.iso” couldn’t be moved because you don’t have permission to access “Sheep Shaver Shared”."

that-ben

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2016
Canada
Thanks again for the response. I did what you suggested, and tried to unpack it with Stuffit and have the unzipped file saved directly into my shared folder in the SheepShaver file, but I get the same stupid message I had from the start "“Pirates.iso” couldn’t be moved because you don’t have permission to access “Sheep Shaver Shared”."

Hi. From experience, I can tell you it will probably not work to try and execute or extract files directly from the "shared" folder. Try and copy the SIT file to the Mac OS 9 desktop within the SheepShaver and THEN extract it using StuffIt Expander. You do not ever want to extract pre-OSX Mac files outside of the Mac OS environment. Resource forks will automatically be lost/destroyed by Windows and render the whole file unusable. My suggestion is: Re-download the original ZIP file, place it in the "shared" folder, launch SheepShaver, copy it on the desktop, extract it and then it will work.

NOTE: If the error message you get afterwards is something like: "Could not find the application program that created the document" then it means that the StuffIt version you have on your Mac OS 9 system does not contain a recent enough ShrinkWrap engine to mount the ISO file inside the SIT file. Almost all kinds of disk images (ISO) files can be mounted and burned in OS9 with the program called Roxio Toast Titanium 5 which you can find here: http://www.macintoshrepository.org/1724-toast-5-titanium (5.23 key: YWXX-CGP-USW-DV3-LCUO *or* SP-HG15N-HP693-S72OR)

Last edited:
Reactions: Cougarcat

care_stars

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Oakville, Ontario
I really appreciate all your help everyone.

This is what I'm doing, and I know it's wrong, but maybe you can help correct me.
Attached is a picture of the folder I created using the tutorial I described above.
I put the folder into the folder like I show in the other picture. But then when I try and unzip it with Stuffit extractor I get this message in the last picture.

What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-06 at 5.24.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-06 at 5.24.17 PM.png
    100 KB · Views: 579
  • Screen Shot 2016-02-06 at 5.26.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-06 at 5.26.44 PM.png
    240.2 KB · Views: 1,439
  • Screen Shot 2016-02-06 at 5.27.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-06 at 5.27.43 PM.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 341

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
You need to extract it with a version of stuffit for OS 9 *within* the SheepShaver emulation environment, not OS X.

that-ben

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2016
Canada
As I said in my previous post, you need to copy the file on the Mac OS 9 desktop and THEN extract it. 99% of the time it won't work to try and extract a file from within the "shared" folder. It does the same thing on Windows. You really need to copy the SIT file to your Mac OS 9 desktop first. AND make sure you do not just MOVE it, since it might still belong to the "shared" disk even tough it shows on the desktop. The trick is to move it to the Mac OS 9 hard drive and then you know for sure it's copying it to the Mac OS 9 environment (then you can place it anywhere you want like on the desktop)

** START FRESH if you already extracted it within OSX. Re-download the SIT file and copy it to the Mac OS 9 environment first, then extract it and work from there.

Last edited:

that-ben

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2016
Canada
What? The whole day? Don't despair man, OK here are the step by step instructions:

1) Install SheepShaver with Mac OS 9 to a point it at least boots up to the desktop (re-download it if needed) AND make sure your virtual hard drive has at least 600MB of free disk space. You will need that much space to extract your game's file. (BTW: How big is your virtual hard drive?)

2) Boot SheepShaver and look in the Mac OS 9's hard drive for an app called StuffIt Expander, make sure you have that.

3) Download your game's SIT file fresh but don't open it yet, just place it inside the "Sheep Shaver Shared" folder you see within OSX.

4) Boot Mac OS 9 if not done yet and WITHIN Mac OS 9, copy your game's SIT file on your Mac OS 9 hard drive.

5) Within Mac OS 9, extract the SIT file using StuffIt Expander we talked about on step 2.

6) You will be left with a ISO file. When double clicking it, if you get any error, then install Roxio Toast Titanium 5 which you can find here: http://www.macintoshrepository.org/1724-toast-5-titanium (5.23 key: YWXX-CGP-USW-DV3-LCUO *or* SP-HG15N-HP693-S72OR)

7) Once installed, if it required a reboot, then reboot Mac OS 9.

8) Within Mac OS 9, launch Toast Titanium and go in the UTILITIES menu at the top, then select MOUNT DISC IMAGE... and then navigate to the ISO file and select it.

9) Click the "Mount" button in Roxio Toast Titanium and wait 2-3 seconds, it should mount the virtual CD-ROM on the Mac OS 9 desktop. From there, you can play the game (or install it)

SCREENSHOT OF STEP 8:

2vhwtch.jpg

care_stars

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Oakville, Ontario
I really appreciate all your help, but I can't even get SheepShaver to open now. I've deleted all the old files and restarted the computer and everything. It just won't open up even though I did everything the exact same way I did it last time.

that-ben

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2016
Canada
What error does it spit out tough? Once I couldn't get SheepShaver to launch and it ended up being the CD-ROM drive path not being correct in the SheepShaver config. Try to start fresh, you can see how to set it up from A-Z here: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_mac_os_x_setup

** EDIT: I will tell you one thing tough: It runs MUCH better in Basilisk II than SheepShaver. I'd definitely advise you for this particular old game to run it in Basilisk II, which you can find here: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/basilisk_ii

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.